Well for some reason my PC in general has been acting slow and lagging alot. So I did the normal, defragged, cleared old system restore points, ran ATF Cleaner, checked for viruses/malware, and ran some online tests. That helped for a bit, but then I specifically began to lag when I would play Call of Duty4. So I went to upgrade my GFX Card drivers thinking that that was the problem. I downloaded the full Catalyst Software Suite directly from the ATI site, and began to install it. I then get a Severe warning that says the following:

Setup did not find a driver compatible with your current hardware or operating system. Setup will now exit.

I tried downloading just the Display Driver and I get the same error. Then I looked in my Add/Remove programs and there is nothing there at all for ATI. It now appears that whatever was ATI was completly uninstalled. Now I have no idea what to do, any help is highly appreciated. My specs are below as well. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks again,

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Here are my Specs:

Manufacturer: Custom

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 2046MB RAM

Hard Drive: 250 GB

Video Card: ATI Radeon X1950 Pro

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 731BF

Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output

Operating System: Windows XP Media Center Editon SP2

You forgot to mention Motherboard manufacturer and model number.

Does your Motherboard have onboard graphics ?

If so, download the drivers for the onboard graphics first

Enable onboard graphics in CMOS

Install the onboard graphics drivers

Then install the ATI graphics drivers

Reply back

I'm not sure what my motherboard manufacturer or model number is, but uninstalling, rebooting, and reinstalling seemed to work. Is there a way to test/see if it worked.

Also I'm still gettin a lot of lag in CoD4 that I used to never get. I have even done single player and still gotten a lot of lag, so I know its not my network.

I'm not sure what my motherboard manufacturer or model number

Please download Everest Free Edition

This will show you what your motherboard Manufacture and model is.

If you have a proprietory Computer (ie Hp; Dell; ...) just supply the model number and name.

Also I'm still gettin a lot of lag

Lagging:- unacceptable response times which become visible to the end-user.

Lagging has two major components; Network data vs. Game system environment.

The items below are classified using these colors.

There are some basic things you can do to minimize the impact of lag:

• * Reduce your screen resolution: This does not resolve true internet lag issues,
    but higher screen resolutions are more taxing on processors and may create an artificial lag.
    This will do nothing to help reduce true lag, but it can increase your framerate.
  • * Eliminate the soundtrack: Playing the music from the CD-Rom will cause slower machines to go noticeably slower.
  • * Reduce chat: Excessive "chatting" will cause a degradation in performance.
  • * Play later at night or on the weekends: Avoiding "peak" internet times (1) will aid ping times.
  • * Choose your server carefully: Find a server that is close geographically and does not typically fill to capacity.
  • * Play games with "client prediction": The best way to get around lag is to have a
    software company do the work for you. Client prediction is technique where a server compensates for a players lag by predicting the player's movements. eg: QuakeWorld and Quake 2 both include client prediction.
  • * Get a Good ISP: Get an ISP that is 3 hops or less from a major internet backbone.

(1) each locale (and or game) will have a different peak traffic time. As most

players are at work or school during the 8am-5pm hours, peak game usage may well

be evenings and weekends. Peak Internet times however, are local time, 8-5 when

commercial sites are most active. Your experience may vary significantly.

There are TCP settings that can assist you in network lag, Sackopts and Full Duplex.

see H E R E for downloads

Edited by KimslanD

I have attached the Everest report KimslanD.

I also belive I am getting game system envirmonet lag from the reading, also have looked into those free speed optimizer programs.

Yes Honda_Boy, if that is the Media Center Edition driver for the 1950 Pro than that is what I was downloading.

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure which one it is still

May be this: http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=pr...mp;maincat_no=1

But I'd prefer you go here: http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloadindex

And use the Click Here button

Basically I'm trying to get to your support page

If the above link finds all your Drivers and support info, please update them.

You can also paste the link here (that the autodetection finds)

Please reply back once done

Edit:

I'm pretty sure it's this driver support page

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=do...amp;prod_no=265

Edited by KimslanD

It found one driver update on my mainboard for JMicron RAID Drivers. So I updated that one.

I also found the box that had my motherboard in it. The model number is P965 Neo(MS-7235) Series.

Hope that helps.

This was all regarding post #2

And it led on from there !

I tend to download all drivers and update, but this was about your onboard Video drivers, probably not required now anyway.

But at least you know your computer support page, and you've learnt a bit.

The issue of lag I addressed too

So not much else I can say.

Good Luck :)

Hey,

Yes, my driver issue appears to be fixed, but I still recieve lag ingame. :(

Also to get email notifications in certain topics, do go to top of the thread and select Options

Then Track This Topic

Then select which method you wish to be notifed by.

Thanks again for all of your help!

what do you have your setting set at in COD4. It's a really demanding game and well, your card ain't exactly top of the line (hey neither are my twin 7600GT's).

BUT tomorrow, something should arrive at my house that would probably help you too if you got one............... a GeForce 8800GT :P

yeah the 9800GTX's just came out...... which use a revised G92 core which is the same one the 8800GT and 8800GTS both use. The 9800GTX is also limited with only having 512MB of RAM, which my 8800GT has. I don't find a 9800GTX worth the extra 100 bones. For $209, the 8800GT Superclocked is still an awesome card that so blows my twin 7600GT's outta the water. Just tested it and CoD4 runs like an absolute dream.

Edited by Honda_Boy