Hi,

I recently received a new Sony DRU-710A for christmas. I have a Dell PC, with just a cd/dvd rom, running windows xp home. I've installed the sony drive with no problems, but i have a few questions about it. The way i installed the sony drive is i connected it on the second IDE channel along with the cd/dvd rom, my cd/dvd rom is master and my sony is set as slave. Should the sony be set as master? I can't play a dvd in the sony, but i can in my dvd rom. I've copied a few dvd's already with no problems, but it seems really slow for what it's capable of. What can i do to fix the slow writing process, and should i change the sony to master? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

usually the master is the drive that is 'source' and the slave is the 'destination' device. there will be no speed increase, however the speed of the burn depends on a few things.. mainly everything runs at the slowest speed of any of the devices

This could be the DVD reader in 'master'

the DVD writer in 'slave'

the setting on your buring software X2 X4 X8 X16 etc

the media you are buring onto DVD/rw media with X2 burn

so for instace...

you have a DVD reader which can read the disk at x16, but your writer only writes at x8 speed, then the transfer will be at 8speed

if you then are using blank dvd's that are x4 speed, then the burn will be x4..

I hope you get the idea? - it will only burn as fast as the slowest setting\device\media.

regards

mikeyb