Businesses Using E-communities

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1204574034...eature_articles

Here's an article in the WSJ about a dive shop in Dallas Texas. Late last year they started their own internet forum. The forum has since boomed with popularity, and has helped increase the company's sales. I for one would never have ordered anything from them if it had not been for their internet forum. It has obviously been a great tool in helping them increase their customer base.

The Dive industry (like others) is having problems getting customers into the stores and off the internet. Dive shops are closing left and right. The shop featured in this article could have very well faced the same fate, however they saw the internet as a tool and not a threat. This is a great business model for all companies feeling the threat of internet sales.

Jeff, I had planned to post this in your other website, but for the life of me I can't remember what the link is :wacko:

Pretty much ANY business better look at the web as an opportunity, or risk extinction.

They wouldn't hesitate to stock new product, or purchase attractive displays, or advertise in various media, so there's no good reason to avoid the web, it's just another opportunity to sell.

Pretty much ANY business better look at the web as an opportunity, or risk extinction.

They wouldn't hesitate to stock new product, or purchase attractive displays, or advertise in various media, so there's no good reason to avoid the web, it's just another opportunity to sell.

Yup. Unfournately, too many companies these days simply gripe about the internet than use it :(

On the other hand, how would a website help the local mom & pop video store, for example? How could they hope to compete with Netflix? The dive store, for one example, has the advantage of there being no 800 lb gorilla in the dive accesories market on the web.

Kinda like what happened to local stores competing against the big box stores ... they can't. Some stores are going to get wiped out from large web dealers, some will adapt & add a few dollars here and there, some will do fine with or without the web. Unlike what some pundits say, that the web will "destroy" traditional marketing. Think of PeaPod, et al, how many grocery stores went out of business from THAT idea?

Makes ya wonder what business will be like in a hundred years or so. 'Course, by then, they'll have transporters directed by brain waves, so we'll just "think" of what we want and it'll appear! :rolleyes: