My friend is upgrading his current 6 tb raid 5 media server(its full) to 12tbs(formatted space) using raid 6. He just ordered an $1100 raid card. He also has 24 750 gb drives to put in his Raid 6 array. In theory he can have two drives die, and still not lose any data. He also has one drive as a hot spare.

When I met him, he was just 16 years old(4 years ago). His sisters played with my son. I new he was into computers, so I showed up to his house with knoppix cd. He thought linux was the coolest thing ever. We have been friends ever since. Back then he was running a slow 1.0ghz celeron system with Windows 2000 pro. Look how things change,.

My friend is upgrading his current 6 tb raid 5 media server(its full) to 12tbs(formatted space) using raid 6. He just ordered an $1100 raid card. He also has 24 750 gb drives to put in his Raid 6 array. In theory he can have two drives die, and still not lose any data. He also has one drive as a hot spare.

When I met him, he was just 16 years old(4 years ago). His sisters played with my son. I new he was into computers, so I showed up to his house with knoppix cd. He thought linux was the coolest thing ever. We have been friends ever since. Back then he was running a slow 1.0ghz celeron system with Windows 2000 pro. Look how things change,.

Just curious, what would one do with all that? I guess if he is a gamer he could buy every game made and install them. But wouldn't that leave him about half his drives with nothing on them?

• 4 weeks later...