I'm the admin for an old P11 700mHz Win XP machine.

Recently the user told me that programs would not load completely. Just try to run and not respond. The hard drive stops spining before the programs load.

I did all the required virus, malware tests to no avail.

Thinking that it was a hard drive problem I ran SpinRite on it for 60 hours. No Problems.

Next I thought I would do a XP repair. Put the WinXP CD in the CD drive, get to the repair option, select it. But the CD won't load completely either! Just kind of winds down, much like the hard drive problem. Now I'm stuck Windows not being able to open at all and I can't re-install.

Does this sound like a power supply issue?

Thanks,

Joe

It might be. Try unplugging everything you don't need, Like your floppy drive, CD, the case fans (not the processor fan). Any second cd drives. Just try running it with the bare essentials and see if that improves things.

It could even be a stick of ram starting to go bad. If there is more then one, try swapping one out and changing them around. Even remove/replace them. Might not be getting a good connection anymore.

It might be. Try unplugging everything you don't need, Like your floppy drive, CD, the case fans (not the processor fan). Any second cd drives. Just try running it with the bare essentials and see if that improves things.

It could even be a stick of ram starting to go bad. If there is more then one, try swapping one out and changing them around. Even remove/replace them. Might not be getting a good connection anymore.

OK. I'll try that.

Thanks for your help.

Joe