No Power To Desktop Computer

Hello all! I have a problem with my desktop computer. When I went to turn it on, It would not power up and all I saw was the lights and fans turned of for a brief moment, but thats it. I probably already know what is wrong, but wanted to get your guys opinion's if I am correct or not. Is it the power supply that is shot?

Thanks for the help

Bryan

Edited by sceeter32
With about 90% certainty, it is either your power supply or motherboard. Out of those two items I would put the higher probability on the PSU.

Thank thats what I thought, but I hope it's not my motherboard cross fingers lol

Bryan

Try a little known secret. (if your PSU has a 110/220 switch)

Unplug the power cord from your PC. Switch you power control switch from 110 to 220, Plug it back in, hit the power button. (it won't start). Then unplug your PSU, switch it back to 110. Plug in the power cord and see if that solves the problem. Newer PSUs have it set this way to reset the PSU.

But I agree. It does sound like the PSU more so then the mobo.

Try a little known secret. (if your PSU has a 110/220 switch)

Unplug the power cord from your PC. Switch you power control switch from 110 to 220, Plug it back in, hit the power button. (it won't start). Then unplug your PSU, switch it back to 110. Plug in the power cord and see if that solves the problem. Newer PSUs have it set this way to reset the PSU.

But I agree. It does sound like the PSU more so then the mobo.

I'll try that thanks! I thought I'd upgrade my computer today so it did. I bought a new board with a new processor, and ram, psu.

Sceeter32

bad ram or

unformatted hdd will also abort the power up

ive had this happen to me

marty

I upgrade my computer that day and I should have try the new psu with the old motherboard before installing the new mother board.