My Project:

I decided to move the computer from the family room to the third bedroom (more privacy, less clutter as the family room is visible throughout the house, a couple of other reasons, some of which I have already forgotten).

"Project?" You say?

An all-day project! (Minimum.)

First, come up with a plan. The third bedroom's smaller than the family room so I have to figure out where everything's going to go (plus make room for some shelving that's already in the third bedroom and is likely to stay there). I employ a technique I used when I bought the house and had to figure out where to put the furniture: Draw a scale plan of the space, measure the furniture, cut out representations for the various pieces of furniture and see how they all fit together. Got my plan.

Next on the agenda, move the computer desk, printer stand and the main desk (not computer related, but it matches the other furniture and I file everything in there after I work with it on the computer). The main desk is too large to snake down the hallway and definitely too large to make the necessary turn immediately after entering the bedroom door (due to the closet sticking out into the room). All the furniture is of the "cam" type of construction, you twist a cam here and there and it comes apart. I move everything off the main desk, start to disassemble it and ... Oops, I discover the end panels have come unglued from their frame.

So before I can move it I have to reglue them. No prob., I have wood glue, it's in the garage ... somewhere. Got it! It's separated (due to being stored in the garage year after year, "Do Not Freeze" it says ... yeah, about that ... ). I try nuking it (it's stiff from being cold and, well, I thought I'd experiment rather than going out and buying new glue), mix it up and ... it comes back to life. Glue and clamp the panels, wait a day. I put off moving anything else so I can be assured of having the computer available (haven't disconnected it yet).

New day: Move the main desk parts into the room and assemble them (cleaning them up as I go). Now I discover my "plan" won't work. On paper it looked great, now that I have the main desk in there I wonder ... "Those other things aren't going to fit, are they?" I measure again and ... Nope, there won't be enough room to move around. New plan.

Oh, I have to reverse the "return" on the desk. The file drawers were on the left, now I need them on the right. A few screws and bolts and cursing 'cause the bolts won't fit unless. I. force. them. Got it.

Oops (there's a lot of that going around), now the almost-room-sized rug isn't going to work the way it is. Move that (lifting the assembled desk to do so -- Grunt!).

Now the printer stand. It's packed with years of junk on the lower shelves and ... Well, looky here, someone, maybe me, spilled a drink once and everything on the bottom shelf is stuck together. Fun. Why did I want to move the computer again? Pull everything out of there, move the stand, clean it, rest my hand on the front edge to boost myself up and ... The front wood trim breaks off. Where's that glue? (That can wait.)

Now for the computer desk. I unplug everything sticking out of the back of the CPU and move everything off the desk. Wow, there sure are a LOT of cords! And, what are all these "bricks" (individual power supplies) for anyway?

Again, I have to reverse the "return" on the computer desk for it's new location, this time it's painless, and while I have the pieces removed I can fit that desk through the hall and around the corner. Put it together, clean it up.

Time to reassemble things! Yeah! I'm placing the surger protector in the newfound space in the printer stand, it'll be a cleaner look, but requires snaking cords through a hole in the back. Everything's fitting together nicely. Umm ... Why do I have all those leftover cords and bricks? What am I forgetting? I can't think of anything, so I power it all up and it works nicely.

Still, I have to wonder why the family room floor is littered with leftover parts! :D