Wireless Drivers In Xp Service Pack 2

I found the most crazy thing today. While reloading a dell laptop, using a generic XP Pro sp2 cd, it has wireless drivers included. It was a Dell true mobile 1150 mini pci wireless card. Over the past 2 years, I have done several reloads/ week and have always had to install wireless drivers. I have never had them included with XP.

Technically, I used an i386 directory I found on my hardrive. I am certain this came from my xp pro sp2 cd I own. I used this technique to load it. The laptop I had did not contain a working cddrive.

edit added//

I wonder if somehow that i386 directory was not pure. In theory, maybe i slipstreemed drivers in it and don't remember. I really don't think that is the case.

The i386 folder, especially those created on PCs that use recovery CDs/DVDs or even recovery partitions, will contain drivers for hardware devices because they were the drivers that came with the PC.

The i386 folder found on retail XP installation CDs contains all of the information required for installation. You will also see an i386 folder in C:\WINDOWS, but this one is a little different as you cannot use it to perform an installation because it contains changes made after installation to suit your particular system. However, the i386 folder is usually where driver information is stored (this is where slipstreaming applications put the drivers).

I was like 99% certain the i386 directory came from a generic OEM XP pro cd, it must not have.

I believe you could be right.

Read this post. Reinstall Windows Xp In Unattended Mode

Your replacing the i386 directory in XP. I have mostly OEM disks that I use. I never use the restore disk that have come with a PC. To much other stuff to put up with. And never had driver issues.