I told my niece I'd fix her laptop, I had no idea what I was in for. It's a Dell Inspiron 1501. I'm pretty sure I diagnosed the first problem as a bad power connector on the circuit board. I haven't touched a laptop in a couple of years and I can't remember. Can a laptop operate with the battery removed and the power brick plugged in? Not that it matters in this case, it doesn't work either way

Mark

As far as I know, No, but I am saying this with regards to the HP I had that had a bad connector on the board. It needed the battery to operate.

If the connector on the board is bad I look at replacing the board, even if it is with a used one.

I used this site to purchase a used screen, call them they have a database of parts not listed online. The service was good, screen was just as described.

Good luck.

Mike

I got it tore down. I can't see much of anything, my magnifying specs. are out in the garage. It's a real loose connection, if you pick up the laptop the cable falls out. It got worse the more I played with it. When I first plugged it in, the power light would turn green and stay green, and no other lights would light. Played with it a few more times and the battery indicator light would flash green for a split second and not even the power light would come on. The power brick tests OK. I'm figuring the flexible copper that contacts the inside of the power plug has lost it's flexibility and no longer makes contact. I don't see them protruding from the center post, if you understand what I mean

Mark

Well, I don't think it's the jack. Not positive, but I put it on the bench and powered it up. Checked voltages where it's soldered to the board and it shows power. I might replace it for peace of mind. Cheapest I found is $29 ea. or 10@ $15 ea. Also noticed the 3v mobo battery is only 2v. Don't think that would make a difference

Mark

Another issue to throw into the mix. I'm assuming to access the BIOS you use the F2 key. Guess what else is damaged.? I'm not sure how bad because the thing won't turn on. I found out she had a few friends she let use the laptop. To connect to the net they were bootlegging the neighbor's wireless signal. When they'd loose connection they would get impatient and bang on the FN + F2 keys

Edited by garmanma

Thanks, that's cheap enough to buy it just for the peace of mind. I think the F2 key is just the plastic bracket/spring. Is there such a place that sells individual keys? Haven't found any so far.

Mark

Gotta love Ebay. Found them for $4 ea

Edited by garmanma