Search Engine Hijack, Tried It All.....[INACTIVE]

Hey y'all,

I guess my search engine has been hijacked... So over the passed few hours I have been trying to fix it but no matter what I do it does not work. I do not seem to be the only one with this problem but when I do what they did to resolve their problem it does not solve mine.

Here is a description:

When I use IE7 and do a search on engines such as google, msn, yahoo, etc. I always get answers from commercial sites such as toseeka.com, MonsterMarketPlace.com, upspiral.us, HartfordYork.com, GetStuff.com, etc. Also, I cannot access my gmail account (it says that the security certificate is out of date, I can access google.com fine though).

So, I figure that I should go and try to find pages that talk about is and that would have ways to fix it. Well, guess what, that hijack virus thing knows what pages to block and whenever I try to go to a support page, IE tells me that the site cannot be accessed.

Nonetheless, I was able to get a hold of some help and I used some scripts to create logs. Here are some of the logs:

HijackThis.exe:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1

Scan saved at 2:36:00 PM, on 9/15/2007

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16512)

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe

C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe

C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE

C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A940\dlbabmgr.exe

C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A940\dlbabmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A940] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A940\dlbabmgr.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [osCheck] "C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\osCheck.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by102fd.bay102.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab

O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll

O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll

O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe

O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe

O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe

O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)

O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)

O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h cltCommon (file missing)

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\isPwdSvc.exe

O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe" /h ccCommon (file missing)

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PifEng.dll (file missing)

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

I also ran Fixwareout,exe adn mdlagentuj.exe but neither of them helped any...

One interesting thing I noticed was that Firefox was not affected by the search result problem; however, it still did not let me go to any support sites. And gmail did not work either.

Another thing that I checked was whether the DNS server was hijacked and that was not the case (it is automatically detect dns settings).

You see, I am running out of options and would greatly appreciate any help!

Thank you very much,

Brice

PS: neither Norton, Spybot, Adaware or AVG could help on this...

Hi there, and welcome to Besttechie! I'm Ryan, and I'll be helping you with your computer troubles.

You will want to print out these instructions, or save them to notepad so that you can refer to them later.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.

This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only

• Close all Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera windows before continuing.
    Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox browser

• Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

If you use Opera browser

• Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

You will need to use Internet Explorer to do this

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be promted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.

• The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT

• Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:

• Extended (if available otherwise Standard)

• Scan Options:

• Scan Archives
      Scan Mail Bases

[*]Click OK

[*]Now under select a target to scan:

• Select My Computer

[*]This will program will start and scan your system.

[*]The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.

[*]Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.

• Now click on the Save as Text button:

[*]Save the file to your desktop.

[*]Copy and paste that information in your next post.

Next, go to start > Run and paste in the following: ipconfig >> dns.txt && notepad dns.txt and then press enter. Notepad will open, post the contents of it, along with the Kaspersky log.

-Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for your input -- I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you; very impolite of me.... The computer I am trying to fix is at my home and I am currently at school. I will post the new logs as soon as I get back there and have a chance of trying it again.

thanks again,

Brice

• 1 month later...

I reran HJT under a new name; it produced this log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 11:43:01 AM, on 11/10/2007

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe

C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 11\Programs\wpwin11.exe

C:\Program Files\ugga\ugga\ugga.exe

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell AIO Printer A940] "C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A940\dlbabmgr.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [symantec PIF AlertEng] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe" /a /m "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\AlertEng.dll"

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1085031214-1935655697-682003330-1005\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe (User 'Sara')

O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-21-1085031214-1935655697-682003330-1025\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe" -quiet (User 'Jeana')

O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/kavwebscan_unicode.cab

O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by102fd.bay102.hotmail.msn.com/resources/MsnPUpld.cab

O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft AB - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe

O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe

O23 - Service: iPodService - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec IS Password Validation (ISPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\isPwdSvc.exe

O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe

O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec AppCore Service (SymAppCore) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AppCore\AppSvc32.exe

--

End of file - 4899 bytes

Thanks Ryan,

Brice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your continuous help! As far as I can tell my computer runs fine; it does not take too much time to start up or is excessively slow processing. I did some more scanning, do you see something?

---------------------------------------------------------

AVG Anti-Spyware - Scan Report

---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created at: 12:22:13 PM 11/23/2007

+ Scan result:

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{F84BD1EF-7F84-4585-8645-C54A23116FC8}\RP52\A0235015.dll -> Adware.Virtumonde : Cleaned with backup (quarantined).

C:\Documents and Settings\Galen.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeana.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeana.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@2o7[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.2o7 : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Addynamix : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@bfast[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Bfast : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeana.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Euroclick : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Euroclick : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeana.YODERS\Cookies\jeana@fastclick[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Fastclick : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@fastclick[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Fastclick : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@findwhat[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Findwhat : Cleaned.

:mozilla.7:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.YODERS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4n3dgxpa.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Netflame : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@overture[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Overture : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Overture : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\[email protected][1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Pointroll : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeana.YODERS\Cookies\jeana@questionmarket[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Questionmarket : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@questionmarket[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Questionmarket : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeana.YODERS\Cookies\jeana@realmedia[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Realmedia : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@revenue[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Revenue : Cleaned.

:mozilla.11:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.YODERS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4n3dgxpa.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Statcounter : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@tacoda[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tacoda : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Galen.YODERS\Cookies\galen@tradedoubler[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tradedoubler : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeana.YODERS\Cookies\jeana@trafficmp[1].txt -> TrackingCookie.Trafficmp : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeana.YODERS\Cookies\jeana@tribalfusion[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.

C:\Documents and Settings\Sara.YODERS\Cookies\sara@tribalfusion[2].txt -> TrackingCookie.Tribalfusion : Cleaned.

:mozilla.8:C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.YODERS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\4n3dgxpa.default\cookies.txt -> TrackingCookie.Webtrendslive : Cleaned.

::Report end

New Hijackthis Log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2

Scan saved at 12:34:04 PM, on 11/23/2007

MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16544)

Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

C:\Program Files\ugga\ugga\ugga.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized

O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/english/kavwebscan_unicode.cab

O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Lic NetConnect service (CLTNetCnService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service Ex (LiveUpdate Notice Ex) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSvcHst.exe

O23 - Service: LiveUpdate Notice Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\PIF\{B8E1DD85-8582-4c61-B58F-2F227FCA9A08}\PIFSvc.exe

O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe

--

End of file - 4623 bytes

Unfortunately this did not change the behavior of the Search Engines or let me access my gmail.... I hope you have some more ideas.....

Thanks again,

Brice

Open notepad and post the contents of the box below into it:

ipconfig >> nodapic.txt
nodapic.txt

Save the file as "ipconfig.bat" (include the quotes) to your desktop.

Double click the ipconfig.bat file; a black window will flash open then close - this is normal.

Notepad will open with some text in it, please post that text.

-Ryan