New Install Of Xp Home Goes To Black Screen

I am trying to do a clean install of xp home on a 20 gig drive in a Dell Millennia.

It installs and goes to the splash screen with the moving blue bar and then, instead of the windows starting screen, the screen goes black.

I can open it in safe mode and all my settings look to be the same as on this hard drive.

Device manager and display are all the same.

I removed the display driver in device manager and rebooted and it opened normally and I did the windows update. But when I shut down and booted back up I had the black screen.

This HD which is a cloned copy of xp home works, but the other HD with a clean install won't.

I have googled, but keep getting the same things that I have already tried.

Any body know what I am missing?

Edited by tman70
Bad HD?

Maxtor Powermax 4.23 advance test says it is good.

I think it is my nivida driver. In checking closer on this drive I see that in Display Prop., settings, advance, adapter information all the information is there. On the other HD when I go there it is not listed even though device manager says it is ok.

I will remove it again in device manager and see if it will reinstall.

Uninstalled it, but still will not install completely.

Edited by tman70
Just in case because it happened to me and drove me nuts for a while.....

You don't happen to have a forgotten flash drive plugged in, do you?

Liz

Hi Liz,

No. I only have the monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse hooked up to the computer.

I first installed xp home over my W98se and got it running and then used xxclone to keep a cloned copy of the HD. I kept it updated without any problems. Then I had a problem and had to use my backup, but then it went bad and I cloned it to another Hd which I am using now. I can not get it to clone to another HD. That is why I am trying to do a clean install on another HD.

Have you tried removing the display driver a second time since running windows update? Maybe try updating the display drivers in safe mode.

I have tried removing it three times and when I reboot it still shows in Device Manager. I have no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. But it still does not register in Display Property.

I have copied the Nivida file from this HD to a floppy and installed it on the other HD, but that did not help. I probably did not install it in the right place, where ever it is.

I have had onboard video cause my pci video card not to work(the screen would go black like you). If you have onboard video make sure you disable it using the device manager. This is different from uninstalling the driver.

Edited by shanenin
I have had onboard video cause my pci video card not to work(the screen would go black like you). If you have onboard video make sure you disable it using the device manager. This is different from uninstalling the driver.

How do I determine if I have onboard video? I don't see anything in Device driver.

If you don't have any device other then your nvidia display adapter in you device manage, then you are fine in that regard. IF you had onboard also installed, it would show up under device manager.

If you don't have any device other then your nvidia display adapter in you device manage, then you are fine in that regard. IF you had onboard also installed, it would show up under device manager.

Thanks, I thought that was the way it was.

This HD had 98se on it when I installed xp home over it.

Should I install 98se on the other HD and install the nvidia driver and then install xp home over it or is that a waste of time?

I finally got it fixed. After trying everything else I went back to the first thing I had googled but was afraid to try.

I made an xp boot.ini floppy.

I formated a floppy using this HD that has XP Home on it.

Then I copied the two files NTDETECT AND NTLDR from the xp cd to the floppy.

Then I went to the boot.ini on this HD and named & copied it to MY Docs and then copied it to the floppy.

Then I removed this HD and put the other one in as master and reset bios to boot from the A drive.

I rebooted and it recognized my monitor and booted up. Now after shutting down and rebooting several times it still opens up.

My problem before was it would not recognize my monitor. After the xp boot.ini , it did and now works fine. I am now installing all my programs and files from my cd's.

Hope this helps someone else.