Im trying to upgrade my computer to the max my motherboard can handle. I hope to eventually get Vista on this computer and then not have to put any more money into it for 5 years or so. (or as long as i can)

My motherboard is an Intel D865perl.

Its max ram is 4gigs. I have 1280megabytes.

Its max CPU is the 3.4ghz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. I have a P4 2.6ghz Northwood

Now, would 4 gigs of ram be overkill for a 3.4ghzEE? Im thinking more like, two..

Any opinions on the Extreme Edition? I know its usually considered a waste of money, but of course its price keeps dropping. The cheapiest I can find it right now is $200. I consider that too much. But hey, its what I need...

Anything else to take into consideration when upgrading? I dont do graphics intense apps, so Im not worried about the video card.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Just a thought. I have nothing against intel, but for well under $200, you could get a fast dual core amd X2 chip with a new motherboard. The following combos will use regular ddr 400 memory(which you probably have)

Look at some of these combo deals. These all include both a mother board and a dual core proc

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCombo...e=10&page=1

Since that is not a retail proc, you will need to buy a heat sink/fan also

edit added later//

I personally like the first deal for $124. I have had good luck with biostar boards. It also has decent onboard video.

Edited by shanenin

I had considered a new mobo/cpu, but scrapped that idea for the simpler one. However, a newer motherboard would probably offer better "upgrade-ability" in the future. I need to check out Tom's CPU charts and crunch some numbers I guess.

Biostar isnt bad. I have some good luck with them to, but TWO Pci slots? LOL

:rolleyes:

Anyway, the mroe I think about the less I like going with the P4 EE. The performace just isnt there. Who in the world paid over $1k for these stupid things when they first came out? :blink: