My daughter-in-law called last night with a problem about her new notebook. I think it is a HP. It was given to her for her job. That is all I know about the specs other than it is running XP. It is set to run on wireless I believe because she said she could pick up MCDonalds wireless that is several hundred feet behind her house.

Anyway she has an old HP desktop that is on Verizon DSL. She was trying to hook the DSL up to her Notebook and had run the DSL install cd.

But when it booted up all she could get was her wallpaper and she could not get it to do anything. The taskbar would flash and then disappear. She said she had no icons of any kind on the desktop.

Of course Verizon tech support was of no help. She said they hung up on her after 2 hrs.

She does not have a XP cd, I guess her work has the cd, so she could not try a repair.

I was finally able to get her into safe mode and it gave her the standard options to fix her problem.

None of them would work.

She did a system restore to the day before and it booted up fine. This morning she could not boot up and did another restore to open it up.

Based on this limited information does anyone have a suggestion I could tell her to try.

Thanks for any help.

If she will be using the DSL to work from home, the IT guys at her job should be able to help her. If it for her to use personally....well....Have you tried Last Known Good Config. from the Safe Mode boot option screen? Have you booted into safe mode to remove the DSL sofeware?