I'm getting tired of resetting my old 801.11b Netgear router 20 times a day.

Any suggestions for a wired/ wireless router?

Should I get g or n. My laptop is b, but I know that's compatible with g.

Are the ones that claim twice the range worth it? I like to take my laptop out on the patio.

I just set up a Netgear WGR614v6 for a friend and it seemed OK. I read some negative reviews though.

Thanks,

Joe

I've been using apples newest N router and the range for both B and G has increased considerably. When connected to a N laptop I can go so far from my house I turned down the signal strength because I didn't need to go that far. I'm pretty sure it's using the same chip set as the Belkin N routers. Definitely worth a look.

I've been using apples newest N router and the range for both B and G has increased considerably. When connected to a N laptop I can go so far from my house I turned down the signal strength because I didn't need to go that far. I'm pretty sure it's using the same chip set as the Belkin N routers. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks isteve. I'll check them out.

I just looked at Newegg's site and see the BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 gets good reviews.

I was lucky enough to get a Geek when shopping at Staples for a Wireless Card and he told me as far as Cards and Routers,

Linksys was best, especially concering routers

Netgear was second best

Belkin was third

The kids bought a Linksys Router and a Netgear Wireless Card and so far so good.

Liz

Edited by blim
I was lucky enough to get a Geek when shopping at Staples for a Wireless Card and he told me as far as Cards and Routers,

Linksys was best, especially concering routers

Netgear was second best

Belkin was third

The kids bought a Linksys Router and a Netgear Wireless Card and so far so good.

Liz

Thanks for the info Liz.

I've been doing a lot of research, reading reviews on Newegg, Cnet, Laptop, etc.

Not sure which one to get yet.

Joe

My 2 cents- I've had this old Linksys for 6 years. I've reset it 3 times and it wasn't the router's fault. I had a D-Link that lasted less than a year

Mark

Edited by garmanma

Dont get the wrt54g v5 router by linksys if you are going to go with them. Sure its the most popular one but when I bittorrent or open many connections up at once like when I start mirc it slows down for a while. I also end up restarting the damn thing like 3 times a day because it just get slow and/or refuses to load new pages.

Im actually using a new 2wire modem/router that I got from SBC and its working surprisingly well. No problems from it at all.

I must add though

Our linksys was put under alot of stress. We have 3 very heavy internet users in the house, all of us are big gamers and ventrillo users. It may work perfectly fine if you are the only one using it, but if you have too many then things start to go wrong.

Edited by Sir_Siddy
I have the wrt54g v2.2, I think this one uses linux. I use it pretty hard without any problems.

I ALMOST bought that one tonight, but I was looking for the wrt54gl and Fry's was out. You are supposed to be able to flash both of these routers with open source firmware.

I ended up buying a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54. It gets high marks on Newegg and also is third party flashable.

I'm going to install it later and will post the results.

Thanks for all the info.

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe