Hiya! The kids bought a Linksys Wireless G 2.4 GHZ 54mpbs Broadband Router to use while they were away at College, and want to hook the computers up to it here while they're home on Summer Break.

The CD got "something" spilled on it that wiping with a damp rag won't remove.

I Googled and found This Link

Now, y'know I know NOTHING about Hardware! Of course, I'm leaving setting up the Router to the kids, BUT is this link pretty much how to set up the Router without an installation disk? Or is there a simpler method? Should I call Linksys and get a replacement disk if that option is available?

Oh! Just in case! Windows XP Home, SP2 on two idiotboxes and Windows XP Media Edition (SP2) on one computer and Cable Internet, hooking up with a Cable Modem from Charter.

While I personally think hooking three idiotboxes up to the net is stupid (only one computer is even turned on 99% of the time!), having won the battle of not letting the kids put their idiotboxes in their bedrooms, time for me to compromise! :)

Thanks much,

Liz

The cd is not needed. I am not sure what it does. The default settings of the router should just work. The default settings leave wireless open without passwords, you may want to turn off the wireless or at least turn on the wireless security. You can this the routers web based config tool. You just have to plug one of your computers into it, then in the address bar of you favorite web browser type 192.168.1.1. It will then prompt you for a user name and password. The user name is left blank and the password is "admin". after that you can change any of the settings you would like, in particular disable the wireless or if it is needed set up wpa(security)

edit added later//

most computers are set to use dhcp by default. This means if you plug them in with an ethernet cable to the router it will just get a connection.

Edited by shanenin
The cd is not needed. I am not sure what it does. The default settings of the router should just work. The default settings leave wireless open without passwords, you may want to turn off the wireless or at least turn on the wireless security. You can this the routers web based config tool. You just have to plug one of your computers into it, then in the address bar of you favorite web browser type 192.168.1.1. It will then prompt you for a user name and password. The user name is left blank and the password is "admin". after that you can change any of the settings you would like, in particular disable the wireless or if it is needed set up wpa(security)

edit added later//

most computers are set to use dhcp by default. This means if you plug them in with an ethernet cable to the router it will just get a connection.

You should include HTTP:// before the address. Also, the adress might be http://192.168.0.1/ if the first one doesn't work.

I know this because I've been resetting my Netgear router now about 40 times in the last month. I'm ready to get the sledge hammer out.

Joe

Yea!! Good!! Thank you!! *happydance*

Yes, those directions do say to put http, etc in front of the address so the kids (NOT me NOT me NOT me) will do that.

And when they bought the router I gave them the "security lecture", which Son said, "well, duh, yes Mom....." :rolleyes:

Liz

Yea!! Good!! Thank you!! *happydance*

Yes, those directions do say to put http, etc in front of the address so the kids (NOT me NOT me NOT me) will do that.

And when they bought the router I gave them the "security lecture", which Son said, "well, duh, yes Mom....." :rolleyes:

Liz

I just bought a new netgear router for a friends new Dell laptop today. I had some problems downloading the Vista drivers, but finally got one that worked.

I noticed that I did not have to include http:// in the address to access the router (like I did in my old router)

Ah.....things are always changing.

One of these days I'll understand it all................... And then I'll be dead. :rolleyes:

Edited by irregularjoe

Just wanted to give you an update--we now have 3 computers hooked up to the internet, thanks to the expert advice from Joe and Shanenin!

Joe, Aron DID have to use that alternate address you provided, so thanks!

The kids are happy now AND I didn't have to lift a finger..... :thumbsup:

Thanks again. Gosh, I love this place!

Liz

Now have them go back into the router and make a backup og the config. This will help to reconfigure the router later if things go sour again.

M

To quote Bearskin, "this went through my brain sideways" but I'll ask Aron if he knows how to do this. thanks, Mike!

Liz

First log into the router using the address http://192.168.1.1 . After you have logged in, goto administration>>config management. This is the location on my linksys router. Yours may be slightly different. Their is an option to save you router configuration to a file. You can use this saved file in the future to restore your current configuration.

Now have them go back into the router and make a backup og the config. This will help to reconfigure the router later if things go sour again.

M

To quote Bearskin, "this went through my brain sideways" but I'll ask Aron if he knows how to do this. thanks, Mike!

Liz

Liz, use the instructions that shanenin just posted.

While you are in the router you should also change the password from the default if you haven't yet done so.

Well, that sounds easy, Shanenin! Dumb question time :rolleyes: --I take it the file will "live in the computer"; should each computer have a router file living in it or is it ok to have just one computer owning the file?

And yup, Joe, they have a password :thumbsup:

Thanks alot!

Liz