Sad story: My Mom passed away when I was a kid. Schools back then weren't familiar with incomplete families. Before Mother's Day the teacher had us making projects and I asked to be excused, as I HAD no Mother. Awkward!

"Don't you have anyone you could make this for?"

"No, it's just my Father and Brothers and me."

"How about an Aunt, or make it for your Father?"

"Why would I make a Mother's Day gift for my Aunt or my Father??"

"Err, uh ... "

I was too young to take a useful lesson out of that, it was just awkward.

:( That is sad. I wonder if your teacher was a parent, JDoors. If she was, she would insist you make a Mothers Day card for your Father, because a Single Parent is both Mom and Dad. And your Father would have felt so honored to be remembered on Mothers Day.

Liz

Agreed. My sympathies JDoors.

Two of my nieces and a nephew will be facing their first Mother's Day without my sister, their mother, who died an un-natural death last July. They've gone through her birthday and others' birthdays and the holidays, and just 2-weeks ago the birth of her fourth grandchild. Two of my grand-nieces, same family, also lost their Father shortly after my sisters death... also of un-natural causes. To say the least it has been tough for the family.

My daughter and I were seperated for 12-years during her youth and her Father's Days centered on her Grand-Father (wife's Dad)... but she still felt the loss through seperation. We were re-united 17-years ago when she was 13-years old; and permanently through the second marriage, 16-years ago, with her mother, my current wife. :)

I now have an eternal view of families that I'm grateful for through my Church's doctrinal teachings. Keep your family close and never take for granted that they'll always be there in the here and now... love them, honor them, cherish them... always.

Edited by bobbynichols