Social Security #s Exposed

Let me preface this by saying, I tend to argue with people. A lot. :rolleyes:

When I was a teen I argued with my older brother about how S.S. numbers were getting to be used for too many things, were getting to be too loosely used. It was a big argument, he didn't see why we didn't use it MORE. For everything. A kind of universal ID. "What's the harm in that?"

It took thirty-five years, but I've finally been proven right! :lol:

My last year of highschool the cafeteria installed computers and set up lunch accounts so students wouldn't have to take money to school every day. To access your account you had to have a card that had your SS number on it. No one seemed to care that they were using our SS numbers. I never eat in the cafeteria anyway, so I burned the card. I did however, talk to the principal to have my number ereased from the program. It didn't take long for parents to start complaining to. The system was soon replaced.

The government putting our number in jepordy is getting old!

I was told a while back that SOCIAL SECURITY numbers being used outside the SOCIAL SECURITY program was illegal. If ti is, good, if its not, it should be.

... I was told a while back that SOCIAL SECURITY numbers being used outside the SOCIAL SECURITY program was illegal. If ti is, good, if its not, it should be.

While it was and is true, the government has created so many new laws that require S.S. numbers to be reported the original law is basically useless. Nearly all the newer regulations are for the I.R.S. to keep track of income or to track money laundering. Use credit? The government wants to know what your spending habits are. Apply for anything with even a remote connection to finances? They wanna know what you're up to. Buy a big-ticket item? They wanna know. Etc. ad infinitum.

That expansion of use is partially to blame for the spread to numerous other uses, "Hey, they use it for this and that, why not the other thing too?"