Xp Slipstreamer And Logicode Malware Warning

I stuck the first warning thread in the wrong section. Sorry.

I am still struggling with that stupid virus or whatever it is, and my foggy brain still doesn't seem to think clearly enough. I feel ok for a day or so then relapse back.

So here it is where it belongs (I think. :rolleyes: )

Copied from my wrong section thread.

This looks like a problem to stay away from.

Found it on G4 Tech Support's Updates and Alerts Sticky Thread, posted by Whiskeyman7.

G4 Tech Support's Update thread

Quote:

Whiskeyman7

Anti-Idiotarian

Friday December 10, 2004 6:58 AM (NEW!)

XP Slipstreamer and Logicode Malware Warning!

by Jeff Partridge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to alert all readers about a site called Logiccode.net that claims to have a number of useful utilities for download, some of them marked as freeware.

Since the software I was after, called XP Slipstream, was mentioned in a freeware/shareware newsletter I get, I downloaded and tried to install the application. Immediately, I started getting warnings from SpyBot and WinPatrol that malware was trying to install and the software was trying to hijack my browser. I got the warnings of the things trying to install, but none of the 6 programs I have on hand was actually able to stop it.

This threat, called WinTaskAd, is very nasty. It has a process stub and a number of software components, which it spreads around your boot drive. If you kill one component, the rest of it replaces the missing parts. None of the standard spyware/adware programs were able to handle this thing without tweaking by someone who knows exactly what to do. I found the best 'kill and remove' instructions in a forum at Geeks to Go. Symantec claims to be able to stop this thing, but I can't comment on that, since I don't have NAV installed right now.

So, DO NOT go anywhere near Logicode.com and stay far away from XP Slipstreamer!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source / Lockergnome

End Quote.

Found a stand alone thread on this too.

G4 Tech Support Thread on this warning

Be careful folks and stay safe.

God bless everyone.