A friend in New Mexico inherited her son's older gaming laptop (ProStar D87P). It is her introduction to the Internet. I send her articles of interest but she cannot read them because the integrated mouse pad will not allow her to scroll (vertically). I can't simply drive over to see her as I live in New York. Is this a problem usually associated with hardware or can it possibly be remedied by re-installing a driver? Would using an external mouse be a viable alternative?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sandhog

A friend in New Mexico inherited her son's older gaming laptop (ProStar D87P). It is her introduction to the Internet. I send her articles of interest but she cannot read them because the integrated mouse pad will not allow her to scroll (vertically). I can't simply drive over to see her as I live in New York. Is this a problem usually associated with hardware or can it possibly be remedied by re-installing a driver? Would using an external mouse be a viable alternative?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Sandhog

You can try reinstalling the drivers but it likely is just worn out from heavy use. The cheap route would be just getting another mouse to attach. The more expensive would be to replace the palm rest with the pad. That is how Dell would do it. I work on laptops all the time but replacing the palm rest for some people may be to involved and expensive. It usually requires taking the keyboard bezel, keyboard, LCD, off along with many screws on the bottom of the laptop. Then being careful when prying it off not to damage any connections to the motherboard.