Brand New Hp Monitor Problems

I just got a brand new HP monitor and I am trying to set it up on my old Dell. So far every time I plug it in it goes to sleep automatically and will not come out. I've tried switching this monitor for that one, and with my laptop, it works on every comp except the Dell, and every one works on the Dell except that one. What would be going on? I tried taking out the graphics card and using the mobo only but that didn't work either. Calling HP did no good either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've roamed around HP's site for a bit. When it's plugged into the Dell, what color is the power lite blue or amber? In the monitor menu there's an advanced settings option you should look closely at. Besides power management in Windows, you also have power management settings in the BIOS. Which should be set to "never". I have zero experience with Dell. I know their BIOS is propietary and I have no idea of the settings. If it's not that and it's not your cables, quite possibly you graphics card might not be able to handle it? Let me know if you fix it, I'll look some more

Mark

Edited by garmanma
I just got a brand new HP monitor and I am trying to set it up on my old Dell. So far every time I plug it in it goes to sleep automatically and will not come out. I've tried switching this monitor for that one, and with my laptop, it works on every comp except the Dell, and every one works on the Dell except that one. What would be going on? I tried taking out the graphics card and using the mobo only but that didn't work either. Calling HP did no good either. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LOL. I love your sig Potato!

I've roamed around HP's site for a bit. When it's plugged into the Dell, what color is the power lite blue or amber? In the monitor menu there's an advanced settings option you should look closely at. Besides power management in Windows, you also have power management settings in the BIOS. Which should be set to "never". I have zero experience with Dell. I know their BIOS is propietary and I have no idea of the settings. If it's not that and it's not your cables, quite possibly you graphics card might not be able to handle it? Let me know if you fix it, I'll look some more

Mark

Well it seems to be working after a format, I went to the boot menu and tried normal, it did the same thing, but I was able to format from safe mode and it is working fine now.

LOL. I love your sig Potato!

=P thank you!