Well I just got my new computer up and running, and let me just say, AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 4200+ versus my old 700mhz dell, is a helluva difference. :P Now I'm wondering a few things:

1) I noticed a lot of pre-installed stuff, some of which was AOL related, mostly useless junk that I don't want, but I'm not sure if it is necessary to keep there, or can I just go ahead and get rid of it?

2) Norton came pre-installed and I want to get rid of it, how should I go about doing this?

3) Is there anything I should know about XP Media Center? Is it similar to XP Home? My laptop runs XP home, but other than that, I've only ever used winME.

4) Do new computers come with all drivers updated? If not, where do I go to get them? (It's an HP if that matters.)

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Tater

Edited by Potato2k4

Congrats on your new purchase! It sounds like a whopper.

1) Uninstall what you dont want.

2) Unless Norton is tied in with other HP crap it should be as simple as uninstalling under "add/remove programs". Im not familar with HPs, so you might let someone with an HP answer also.

3) Media center is the same as XP with a few more features. Honestly, unless your PC is hooked up to your TV or something like that, youll probably never have a need for it's features.

4) Dont the newer HPs have some sort of "HP Control Panel" running that automaticaly updates your computer's drivers? At the least im sure your computer came from the factory with Window's Auto Update enabled.

Edited by Bubba Bob

Do you have a 4200 or 4600? You signature is giving conflicting info. I have a 4200 myself and love it. In all honesty, I don't really ever use its full power. I can only get the proc to max out if I have two instances of my mpeg4 encoder going at the same time. It is nice to know I have the power anyways. Enjoy your new computer :-)