I'd like some more opinions on this. I'm leaning towards a bad monitor. My daughter has a 4 year old LCD monitor. It's a cheap generic brand. I can't find any info on the net and their website is non-existent. When she goes back to use her computer after the screensaver has been running awhile, The screen is all distorted, not the screensaver but the desktop. I turn off the monitor and power it back on and it's OK. I've tried different screensavers. I'm going to have the unit soon, to do some maintenence and upgrade some hardware and software, and I'll update the videocard driver at that time. The card's a GeForce2 GTS. Ideas anyone?

Thanks

Mark

Edited by garmanma

Try and run a live linux cd, see if that runs without issue. I say that because I just had a job that appeared to have a bad video card. It was giving these issues. The windows logo that shows while booting, had vertical red lines running through it. This was before the any video drivers were loaded. That made me thing the hardware was faulty. After the desktop was drawn(nvidia drivers were loaded), the desktop had video defects. Reloading windows fresh fixed all of the problems, including the vertical red lines during the bootup splash screen. If everything looks good while running linux, you may determine the problem lies within the windows build.

edit added later//

I just read the last half of you post. Turning the monitor on and off fixes the problem. That probably safely rules out windows being the issue :blush: Keep me updated, that is kind of an interesting issue.

Edited by shanenin

Will do. It's going to be awhile before I get my hands on it.It doesn't bother her just me. A side note, I have no way of checking the monitor settings in Windows. There's no paperwork, manual or installation disk to be found

Mark

Can you try the monitor on another pc or laptop? If it is then fine, it turns more to the video card. If it still has the problem then it is the monitor. I tend to think it is the monitor since it clears up when you turn it on and off.

I'm not sure yet if I entirely fix the problem. I'v been yelling at them to move their tower. They had it on the floor with the side off and six cats in the house. Can you say furballs? Plus the plug for the monitor was just barely finger tight with a lot of strain on the cord. As soon as they give me some money, I'm going to upgrade the memory and upgrade all the drivers and software. I'll tear it down at that time and reseat things and give it a thorough cleaning. All he does is blow air through the fans. He doesn't take the fan off the heatsink to clean out the fins and it's packed. <_<

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Try and run a live linux cd, see if that runs without issue. I say that because I just had a job that appeared to have a bad video card. It was giving these issues. The windows logo that shows while booting, had vertical red lines running through it. This was before the any video drivers were loaded. That made me thing the hardware was faulty. After the desktop was drawn(nvidia drivers were loaded), the desktop had video defects. Reloading windows fresh fixed all of the problems, including the vertical red lines during the bootup splash screen. If everything looks good while running linux, you may determine the problem lies within the windows build.

edit added later//

I just read the last half of you post. Turning the monitor on and off fixes the problem. That probably safely rules out windows being the issue :blush: Keep me updated, that is kind of an interesting issue.

I finally got to look at her computer. It was much simpler than anticipated. When they clean out the internals, they just blow a can of air into the box. I took the card out and the heatsink/fan were so plugged, I'm surprised it was even turning. You couldn't see the fan without removing the card. Pictures are a lot more crisper and colors are more pronounced. She played a quick game without problem. She used a pretty intense screensaver. I told her not to use any. Now if I could just find the cover for the box, it hasn't been on for more than a year

Mark