Thumb Drive Not Showing Up In My Computerq

Hey guys,

I'm having a pretty strange problem. I just finished building my computer last week and I started to have this problem where I would connect my USB drive but it would not show up in my computer. In fact there is no way for me to access the drive at all. Now the weird thing its that it is showing up in device manager alright, but I still cannot access it. I already tried reinstalling the drivers but it hasn't helped. Any ideas?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm having a pretty strange problem. I just finished building my computer last week and I started to have this problem where I would connect my USB drive but it would not show up in my computer. In fact there is no way for me to access the drive at all. Now the weird thing its that it is showing up in device manager alright, but I still cannot access it. I already tried reinstalling the drivers but it hasn't helped. Any ideas?

Thanks

Odd... I too had been having this problem... but now it works? On my Win98SE box I removed the USB device and re-installed the driver a number of times... no go. I also had an intermittent USB printer problem and a DVD that refused to play... simultaneously with the USB bug. I was leaning towards having a problem with device drivers conflicting... but I can't say that definitely because I don't think I really did anything that might have untangled a device driver conflict.

I've cleaned out my cache and run CCleaner and every spyware/antivirus ap I could get my hands on and somehow it sorted itself out? The last thing I remembered doing that might have been effective was the CCleaner and an AdAware update&scan and cache clearing in IE (I use Firefox 99% of the time). I also tried an online Panda scan but even with all my ActiveX controls permitted I couldn't get it to run in IE (go figger).

Good luck... I'll keep an eye or two on this thread to see how you fare.

Ok fixed it. I went into computer mangement (right click my computer > management) and checked in the harddrive device slots. I saw that my thumbdrive was already assigned letter G, so I re assigned it to J. It showed up after then. I still dont know why it wouldnt show up in the first place, but anyways its working now.