I'm setting up an old box to run Linux. It was working and running 95. I know the hard drive, floppy drive, and CD drive are working. I accidently used a Rawwrite floppy instesd of a bootdisk. I shut it off and now when I turn it on I get the BIOS beep, it starts the boot process, and then stops at verifying DMI POOL data. I've tried booting to the floppy with a bootdisk, booting to the CD drive with a Knoppix CD, and booting to the hard drive. I cleared the CMOS and still nothing. I'm just wondering if I trashed the BIOS chip. Any thoughts? I never flashed a BIOS before but I guess there's always a first time

Thanks

Mark

I'm setting up an old box to run Linux. It was working and running 95. I know the hard drive, floppy drive, and CD drive are working. I accidently used a Rawwrite floppy instesd of a bootdisk. I shut it off and now when I turn it on I get the BIOS beep, it starts the boot process, and then stops at verifying DMI POOL data. I've tried booting to the floppy with a bootdisk, booting to the CD drive with a Knoppix CD, and booting to the hard drive. I cleared the CMOS and still nothing. I'm just wondering if I trashed the BIOS chip. Any thoughts? I never flashed a BIOS before but I guess there's always a first time

Thanks

Mark

Loose connection inside the box. Or it is something in the BIOS setup that is causeing this. try setting the Bios to Fail safe, or Default settings.

Any thoughts? I never flashed a BIOS before but I guess there's always a first time

Thanks

Mark

You have nothing to loose by trying to flash it.

Linux deserves better hardware then that(just giving you a hard time) :) How much memory do you have installed?

Edited by shanenin

I forgot to say it but I did restore default settings. There is no failsafe option in the BIOS that

I can find, it's an old Award BIOS. I found the flash update for my board so I'll give it a try. If worse comes to worse, it's a removeable EPROM and I found a site that will burn a new chip. If I feel real adventurous, I have an old EPROM burner from work if I can figure out how to get the info from the floppy to the burner. I haven't looked.

Thanks

Mark

Shanenin- 256mb I figured it was enough to learn on before I upgraded to a primo machine :lol:

It was a sweet little machine for it's time. It gives me something to play with

Mark

256 MB RAM will run any Linux distro out there:-) I hope you get your BIOS issue sorted out, Mark. I love Linux; I've used it for over four years now. Good luck, man:-)