Win Xp Pro To Win 2000 Pro

We recently bought 4 new computers that came with Windows XP Professional already installed. The software we're currently running doesn't accept XP Pro. Although it does run on Windows 2000 Pro. When I put the install disk in for 2000 Pro on one of the new computers it gave me a message stating that the disk contained an older os and would disable the installation feature on it. How can I install 2000 Pro on these computers? Do I need to reformat the hard drives?

Formatting is definitely easy(actually, you do not need to format, but just delete the partition xp is on)

Did you boot from the windows 2000 disk or did you try and run it from within windows XP?

I have never tried to downgrade, but would think you could choose install a fresh(new) copy of 2000, and it would ask you to format automatically. If it does not, you will have to format it before running the disk.

Edited by shanenin

I assume your 2K is a full install and not an upgrade. Back up any info you need to save, because it will be lost. You will need a bootdisk. You can download one at Bootdisk.com. Use the radified guide to FDISK and partition the drive. When done, set the BIOS to boot to the CDROM and insert the 2K CD. It will reformat and install the OS. Hope this helps

Mark

bootdisk.com

Radified FDISK Guide

Edited by garmanma
Formatting is definitely easy(actually, you do not need to format, but just delete the partition xp is on)

Did you boot from the windows 2000 disk or did you try and run it from within windows XP?

I have never tried to downgrade, but would think you could choose install a fresh(new) copy of 2000, and it would ask you to format automatically. If it does not, you will have to format it before running the disk.

After creating a boot disk, running FDISK, and format the hard drive, 2000 starts to install. BUT I keep coming up to this blue screen with the message:

***STOP: 0x000000007B (0xF2063848, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000,0x00000000) INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

And then it has wording below it. Any suggestions?