can't get them to install.

Most of them have a install.exe program

and when I double click on it, I get a screen

that askes what drive to install the program on

and it doesn't automatically enter "C:\" and when

I try to type in the C. I get a little beep but nothing

shows on the screen.

The ONLY think I can think of is that I am using a

Logitech cordless keyboard thru my USB port.

I have tried telling it to run in Win95 compatibility

mode without success.

Any ideas?????

Thanks..................jim

Yup....and even though XP has a "backward compatability thingy", it doesn't always work with all games. Son discovered this when trying to install his Windows98 games on the new XP. Some worked, some didn't

Do you have an old computer you could hook up for the Grandkids so they could play those games? Often I see computers at Goodwill--never looked closely enough to see which OS they have on them, but I'm betting they aren't XP!

I sure know what you're thinking as those old games are just as fun or even funner than the "fancy new games" (which is why Son will never part with his SNES! :) )

Liz

Yup....and even though XP has a "backward compatability thingy", it doesn't always work with all games. Son discovered this when trying to install his Windows98 games on the new XP. Some worked, some didn't

Do you have an old computer you could hook up for the Grandkids so they could play those games? Often I see computers at Goodwill--never looked closely enough to see which OS they have on them, but I'm betting they aren't XP!

I sure know what you're thinking as those old games are just as fun or even funner than the "fancy new games" (which is why Son will never part with his SNES! :) )

Liz

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You can also use the box to try out Linux. That's what I'm going to try with the one in my closet

Mark

The "compatibility" settings only fool the program into thinking it's running an earlier OS.

When the program asks for OS version (and/or several other settings) XP spoofs it using stock answers or customized WIN.INI/CONFIG.SYS type responses.

When I have trouble installing from an older CD/floppy, this sometimes works.

Copy the entire contents to a folder on the hard drive, remove the CD/floppy, then try the install.exe in that new folder.

If that doesn't work, try "compatibility mode" settings for that install.exe program.

Edited by CurlingSteve