Wireless Router W/ Qos Management

I can't take it anymore! My Vonage call quality is terrible. Half of my calls are too garbled to be understood. Ive got the fastest broadband my cable company offers, and no telecoms. around here offer "naked" DSL packages. My five year old Belkin wired router has served me well, but I need a router with QOS management.

I was shopping around Newegg today and couldn't believe the wireless routers are as cheap or cheaper than wired. So, Im looking for a Wireless G router w/ a wired 4 port switch that supports QOS.

"QOS" doesn't seem to be in the features list so Im having trouble figuring out which routers have this feature. Does anyone have a recomendation? (also, the cheaper the better. Im looking for under $50, which I may raise later. Ebay and MIR are fine)

Thanks

Edited by Bubba Bob

I use (and love) the WRT54G, it's been the most reliable and stable router I've tried.

And the older models (check the serial number) run Linux, and can be enhanced with third party firmware.

While I am currently running with "stock" firmware, I've tried several of the enhanced packs and they've run well.

Sveasoft has what most folks feel (myself included) the best upgrades around.

Keep in mind, newer WRT54G routers either don't run Linux or won't accept these modifications.

Take a look at a few of these Google links for more...

Google - Linksys WRT54g QOS

No I haven't, but I've had no reason to need to fool with them.

While I have neighbors with wireless, we all seem to have settled different channels, SSIDs, WEP/WPA and such.

We don't interfere with each other and all have reasonable response and speed.

(I'd know, they all come to me with their computer questions/problems - foolish mortals).

• 2 weeks later...
have you tried disconnecting the computers all together just to see if it helps? My hunch is vonage may still be garbled.

Usually if Im getting garbled sound I hang up and connect my vonage box directly into my cable modem. MOST of the time this does the trick. (meaning one of the PCs is hogging the bandwith)

Next time I have problems Ill disconnect the other PCs.

Jeeze I wish my cable company offered higher speed packages :(

EDIT:

On a side note. I see no real difference in internet speed on the computers while talking, or even while my audio is garbled. If Vonage is the priority I would think the PCs would come to a crawl...

EDIT:

Also, I can get crystal clear sound through Skype. Much better than vonage, but with no bandwitch issues. Odd...

Edited by Bubba Bob