I just upgraded my athlon xp 2600 to an athlon 64 x2 4200(dual core). In all honesty, I probably won't notice a huge difference from my old system. For some things it will be nice. I liked the idea of the 6150 onboard video. That will be good until I am able to upgrade to a dedicated video card. I paid $210 for the proc and asus board(nforce4 chipset). My friend took great care of it.

Edited by shanenin
I just upgraded my athlon xp 2600 to an athlon 64 x2 4200(dual core). In all honesty, I probably won't notice a huge difference from my old system. For some things it will be nice. I liked the idea of the 6150 onboard video. That will be good until I am able to upgrade to a dedicated video card. I paid $210 for the proc and asus board(nforce4 chipset). My friend took great care of it.

That will be a nice improvement. Get the best graphics card you can afford. Or save up and get one you can't afford.

For now onboard video is doing good running vista. One nice thing about the upgrade is pci-express. Most all of the cheaper video cards need pci-express to run. The older agp video cards are getting expensive. If business picks up, i may be upgrading to a nice video card sometime in January.

I am definitely impessed. Using "nero recode", I converted three movies from dvd to mpeg4 format in about 1.5 hours. My old athlon xp took more then this amount of time to do just one movie.

If I tried to encode just one movie it would only average about 65% cpu usage. So long as I do two movies at a time it uses 100% of the cpu available.