Create A Unduplicatable Gift Certificate

I am in an auction that is sponsored by my local newspaper. For every dollar of service or product I let them auction for me, I get one dollar of money to use for advertising. The product I am auctioning are 15 gift certificates for 3 hours computer labor(valued at $120). So long as the reserve of 50% of value is met people can win my certificates. The cool thing is I get full value to use for advertising. The idea is for 45 hours of my time, I will get $1800 to use for advertising in my paper. Plus the 15 people who win my certificates will become long term customers(assuming they like my service).

Here is my worry. I need to make up the gift certificates myself. I am a little worried that one bad apple may try and duplicate them. I am looking for suggestions to make these a little bit hard to just copy. I know I can't do anything full proof, but want to make them a little difficult to copy.

One thought would be to hand write them, or at least hand write the signature. I also could number them, and when the customer picks them up, i could ask for an ID that would be associated with the number. I would tell them it is for THEIR security to make sure their certificate would be honored.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

that makes me think, I could use cdrs with data on them.

edit added later//

hmm, they could still copy my discs

edit added later//

I know i need a complex activation plan based on wga(to protect my new customers) :-)

Edited by shanenin
hmm, they could still copy my discs

At least the victims would probably know who made the copies.

I know i need a complex activation plan based on wga(to protect my new customers) :-)

That'd be great. If they ask you to change their hardware make them reactivate the certificate afterwards. And then refuse to reactivate it for some damn reason.

Speaking of which, you could use any frobs you have lying around as certs and authenticate the serial numbers. Anything with a(n immutable) GUID built in -- Ethernet cards, Pentium IIIs, whatever -- would be perfect. You'd still have to deal with theft though.

Edited by jcl

If I was not concerned with looking neurotic, I could staple a one dollar bill to each certificate. That bill would have a unique serial number, which I would keep records of.

In all honesty, I will probably just individually number and sign each certificate.

Edited by shanenin

I agree about writing a code number on the certificate, but printing them on an unusually colored paper will help, too as a "cheater" won't go through the trouble of tracking down the paper. Ooooh, a gift wrap paper could really work, as a cheater would look for regular paper, not in the gift wrap aisle.

Liz