W98se Freezes On Splash Screen On Startup

My son's Gateway Essential running w98se freezes on the splash screen when you try to bootup.

This started after I downloaded the new update for Avast.

I can use ctrl-alt-delete and reboot but it still freezes on the splash screen.

I have used F8 to go to safe mode and it still freezes on splash screen.

I updated all of his programs-AdAware, Spybot, Sun Java and ran them and Avast to have a clean system.

I then removed old restore points and made a new one on Go-Back before I D/L Avast update.

I have tried to use Go-Back to before I D/L new Avast update, still freezes on splash screen.

What do I need to do to fix?

Thanks.

Edited by tman70
My son's Gateway Essential running w98se freezes on the splash screen when you try to bootup.

This started after I downloaded the new update for Avast.

I can use ctrl-alt-delete and reboot but it still freezes on the splash screen.

I have used F8 to go to safe mode and it still freezes on splash screen.

I updated all of his programs-AdAware, Spybot, Sun Java and ran them and Avast to have a clean system.

I then removed old restore points and made a new one on Go-Back before I D/L Avast update.

I have tried to use Go-Back to before I D/L new Avast update, still freezes on splash screen.

What do I need to do to fix?

Thanks.

Maybe a corupt MBR (Main Boot Record). Can you boot to safe mode? If so this most likly is not the case.

you can fdisk /mbr and it will rebuild it in MS/DOS mode. I'm just guessing that this is the cause it has been many years since I have used a 98SE machine. You sure he would not like a nice install of linux on that Box?

It is an option (IMHO).

Preston

Edited by rhema7

First thing I worry about when Windows doesn't display correctly is corrupted video drivers. Since you can't even boot to Safe Mode (making it unlikely it's a display driver problem as Safe Mode uses the most basic, most compatible driver available), umm .... I'd use the Windows Install disk to boot the machine.

Maybe a corupt MBR (Main Boot Record). Can you boot to safe mode? If so this most likly is not the case.

you can fdisk /mbr and it will rebuild it in MS/DOS mode. I'm just guessing that this is the cause it has been many years since I have used a 98SE machine. You sure he would not like a nice install of linux on that Box?

It is an option (IMHO).

Preston

First thing I worry about when Windows doesn't display correctly is corrupted video drivers. Since you can't even boot to Safe Mode (making it unlikely it's a display driver problem as Safe Mode uses the most basic, most compatible driver available), umm .... I'd use the Windows Install disk to boot the machine.

Hi Guys,

Appreciate your replys. Sorry to take so long to reply, but I have managed to fix the problem.

I had a 13 gig hd that just had a copy of w98se on it, so I hooked it up as the master and installed "Partion Magic" on it. Wasn't worried about any other drivers. I then made the 30gig hd a slave. Then reset settings in the BIOS.

Partion Magic showed GoBack only on the D drive. I then made the 30gig hd the master and rebooted. when the GoBack screen came up I disabled it. It took about 20 mins., it seemed like, before it was finished.

After that I then made the 13gig the master and the 30gig the slave. I was then able to get the files to show and was able to remove both Avast and GoBack. Then made 30gig the master and it booted right up. It seems that Avast and GoBack were having a conflict with each other.

I have been cleaning out everthing that I can to make it work better. I D/L Avast and ran it.

Even ran SFC to make sure there were no corrute files.

Everything seems to be running fine now.

I then made 13gig a slave and used "XXCOPY" to make a backup. I now have a safe backup H/D and the main 30gig H/D is working fine. There was probably an easier way to correct the problem but my way seems to have worked.

My son and I will buy Wxp in a few weeks and install it on our computers here.

My other son's wife decided to not go with Wxp for now.

Later my daughter-in-law can get her a copy of wxp and I can put it on her computer.

Thanks for trying to help.

there is no correct way. Your solution seemed to work great :-), it took more brain power then just reinstalling

I would have probably just reinstalled(its the easy way), but that is just me. By reinstalling you fix the main problem, plus have the added benefit of a brand new clean install. That route is not for everyone.

Edited by shanenin