any more

so it hasent taken off here

nor in australia

nor in any of the pacific regions

im just curious

as to where this eventuated

thanks for your explanation

marty

I don't know the true history but in general, like a lot of holidays, it begins with a celebration of one kind or another, others find it interesting enough to adopt it (with modifications), THEN it becomes commercialized as enough people participate to make it worthwhile to exploit it financially.

People were "celebrating" Halloween, Christmas, et al long before any of them become commercialized.

Some holidays become more entrenched in some cultures than others due to a difference in the mix of peoples, faiths and differing tolerance of other peoples and faiths.

Mexico has celebrations similar to Halloween, celebrations concerning death and the macabre (or what other cultures might consider macabre), some of which has spilled into the Halloween season in the U.S. I doubt Mexican culture has much of an effect on say, N.Z. or Australia.

thanks JD

it is quite a facinating subject

one of the reasons i asked i have a coupla of

american friends from different boards

who has sent me maybe 7-8 halloween jokes

because i wasnt familair with the subject

i thought i would ask here at BT

and im happy with your answer

maybe i can start a trend here in nz and ozzy

thanks again

sorry bout posting in the wrong forum

marty

I don't know the true history but in general, like a lot of holidays, it begins with a celebration of one kind or another, others find it interesting enough to adopt it (with modifications), THEN it becomes commercialized as enough people participate to make it worthwhile to exploit it financially.

People were "celebrating" Halloween, Christmas, et al long before any of them become commercialized.

Some holidays become more entrenched in some cultures than others due to a difference in the mix of peoples, faiths and differing tolerance of other peoples and faiths.

Mexico has celebrations similar to Halloween, celebrations concerning death and the macabre (or what other cultures might consider macabre), some of which has spilled into the Halloween season in the U.S. I doubt Mexican culture has much of an effect on say, N.Z. or Australia.

Or waded across?????