My Project

nah, i decided not to trade. If he were more local, say Nashville or Murfreesboro, then I'd probably do it but he's just too far away for a car like that.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Those skirts are definitely better. The first photo (where you asked the question) was too dark to tell, and ... the car was too DIRTY! Though had I checked the properties of the photo I'd have gotten the answer (since the filename says 'new skirts').

Enjoy your ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, my car just received some maintenance . It's got brand new Wagner Rotors and Wagner ThermoQuiet Brake pads. Had fun with is too. First I forget to get Stop Squeal for the brakes so I had to go to Advance and get some. Well, I get that and my brother gets started on the brake removal. I open up the new rotor and hand it to him and he puts it up to the car........Right lug pattern, wrong size. The idiot and O'Reilly Auto Parts gave me EX rotors instead of CX/DX/HX rotors. I told him time after time, CX brakes, same as DX brakes, HATCHBACK!!!! He still got it wrong. At least I got a friend and another younger guy to help me this time cause they made sure I got the right size rotors. After getting the driver side done with relative ease, we had a hell of a time with the passenger side. A screw got stuck and strippe out but nothing a power drill can't fix. Got it all together, my car stops better. yay.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Well, I worked on the headlights today......again. Different method this time. Last time I was wet sanding, buffing, and using Scratch-X. This time I went to O'Reilly's, bought some PlastX (both Scratch-X and PlastX are McGuire's), and went to town. All I did was put the PlastX on some shop towels and wiped away on my headlights. It removed a lot of oxidation and cleared them up good. I'll get pics when I can. I also washed my car yesterday.

I know someone that wet sanded with 3 different grains and then used PlastX. Using just PlastX itself gets a lot of oxidation off. Just for giggles, I used it on my 99 headlight (i only have one and it doesn't fit 96-98 anyway) and it did really well. It was already in considerably better condition than my 96 lights but it still ended up looking a lot better after PlastX.

Being a miata owner I have a plastic rear window that gets scratched and hazy. Every few months I use Novus Fine scratch remover works like a charm. They sell it at motorcycle and snowmobile shops for visors, windscreens and plastic parts.

Wooo, yay. I did some work for my neighbor while she was on vacation and I'm getting paid. And I just got paid from my job, yay. I have moeny, time to buy new hard drive.

SCREEEEEEEEEEETCCCHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wrong.

My radiator has a crack or something and is starting to leak so time for a replacement. I don't even wanna attempt to fix it since it's the stock 96 CX radiator while I have a 99 Si motor that has larger hoses and crap. I'm gonna order one of 3 different radiators. OE replacement 99-00 Civic Si radiator, OE replacement 96-97 Civic Del Sol VTEC radiator, OEM JDM 98-01 Honda Integra Type R radiator and fan (1. it's an original OEM ITR part 2. It's more efficient than the other 2 supposedly 3. it's cheaper).

Damn, ALWAYS when I have money, something breaks. NEVER FAILS. First my laptop fries and now my radiator is crappin out.

ALSO, I finally figured out one of my oil leaks. There had always been a tiny little bit that leaks through the oil cap. I never could figure out why until today. I took it off and looked at it. It looked like there was supposed to be a rubber gasket around the screw but there wasn't. Just an empty slot. I went inside and dug out the old billet oil cap my brother had put on my old Civic back when it was his (I had the stock cap on it when it was mine). I looked at it and noticed it indeed had a gasket. Well I cleaned it and put it on in the place of the stock one. Sure it's stupid lookin but at least it functions better. No one's ever gonna look under there anyway.

* I'm just gonna swing by NAPA or O'Reilly's tomorrow or Sunday and get an OE replacement 99 Si one (The Si and the Del Sol VTEC one should be the same thing anyway). I'd have have to wait for the ITR one. I think it's full sized too which means I'd have to remove my A/C which I don't wanna do even though it doesn't work right now (just needs a new hose I think).

Edited by Honda_Boy

I feel your pain. I just replaced the radiator in my Miata and the ac compressor and receiver/dryer in my Ranger. Both went south in the same week.

These things only seem to happen when the savings account starts to fatten up.

939597947_3f47aade48_m.jpg

And it ain't always limited to automotive either.

Well, I didn't get up early enough so I'll get it tomorrow. My neighbor just paid me today for house sittin, so it should cover it. I may go cheap after all and get another CX one but I still will try for an Si radiator.

I asked for an Si one, that's what the receipt said, but apparently they are all the same. I got it in, me and my friend (both of us never having done this before) got it done in about 40 minutes or so.

Tomorrow I plan to go to Nashville to pick up an OEM 99-00 Civic Si center console (has an armrest and my console is busted up and missing a few things) and an OEM 99 Si Strut bar. $55 for them.

*By the way isteve, are those Slips (Rota Slipstreams) on your Miata?

Edited by Honda_Boy

Fixed a little today. I got my Si Center Console (strut bar got messed up so i couldn't get it) so today I decided to clean it (it was kinda nasty). Went to town cleaning it, the armrest compartment was sticky and the cupholders had some crap in them plus there was just other crap on it. I thought about switching out the shift boots cause I didn't like the one that was on it (doesn't look OEM) but my CX one doesn't look much better and I didn't feel like removing and reinstalling the console again. In the old console I pulled 2 clips. My vent on my driver side was missing it's clips and it kept falling out every time I accelerated. Well these clips were too big but I made em fit so now my vent stays put. I also found 2 screws that fit my gauge cluster trim so now it stays in place too.

I think I'll wash the little booger and vacuum it out tomorrow. I'll take some pics of the new console and just some good still pics of the car. I don't have any pics of it still with the new skirts on. I just have the 3 rolling shots my friend took from his car and a pic of it amongst other cars at Import Alliance.

The never ending task of maintaining a vehicle. I finally traced my speedo problem to a bad ground. What fun tracing the wiring under the dash. The truck has always leaked some oil from the rear main seal. Lately it had gotten worse. I decided to check the PCV system. The valve was fine, but there was no vacuum. The normal cause on GM TBI setups is a plugged manifold port. I pulled the PCV tube off the intake and definitely had vacuum. I blew through the tube and discovered it was plugged. The previous idiot that owned the truck had put a plug in the tube for some unknown foolish reason. I popped the plug out and pressure washed the bottom of the truck then took it for a hard test run. Now there is just a slight drip of oil.

I called a friend and reserved his garage for a couple of days. I am going to go over every inch of the emission system. I have a feeling the idiot tried bypassing the emissions for a false concept of gaining improvements in performance and/or mileage, which is dumb due to the fact the truck has plenty of power (constantly load over a ton of block, brick, stone/gravel and etc. in it) and now averages 18 m.p.g. The only other thing that is in vital need of repair is the right rear brake. The backing plate is worn and the shoes hang while backing up in cold weather.

This old truck has served me well. So far I have less than $1500 invested (which includes the purchase price). To me that is cheap for one year of hard usage. The payments on the 2005 Ford are over 3 times that.

My rides.

1988_GMC.jpg

2005_Ford.jpg

1988_GMC.jpg

2005_Ford.jpg

OK. So I opened this thread, pulled the scroll bar to the bottom to see the last post and there's a pic of a sparkling Ford p/u. I pull the scroll bar up a bit and there's a slightly beat up truck and my FIRST thought was, "Wow, good job fixin' that up ... "

Wait a minute, one's a Ford and one's a Chevy!

Ohhhhhhh! Two different rides. Doh. Sometimes I can be such a noob. :rolleyes:

Yes that would have been one heck of a restoration :D

When I first looked at the GMC I thought the number on the house was 666 then closer look I see 606. At first though it was a comment on the truck.

Oh, nice 150.

There is no way I could or would turn a nice GMC into a Ford. :whistling:

Believe it or not that old dilapidated GMC blows the F150 out of the water. It handles more of a load, it's quicker, gets better mileage and is more comfortable to ride in. The Ford is for when the snow/mud gets too deep and hunting/fishing trips. ;)

I saw a vehicle that made me do a double take, yesturday. It was a fairly new(ish) Chevy S10 that was rusting to hell. I couldnt believe all the rust it had developed so quickly. Then I saw the Michigan tags...

TT, new trucks are grocery getters. You cant even find a truck these days with real bumpers! Pittyfull. Hit something with that GMC, lay down $80 for a bumper. Hit something with the new Ford, ouch...

Oh well, atleast theres an ample supply of old trucks down here. :D

Yeah that's all they are is Grocery Getters. I think my dad's 98 Tacoma 4 banger 2-wheel drive is more of a truck than most trucks today. Bed liner, tool box, mud flaps, A 5 SPEED MANUAL!!!!, and it gets used for more work than the most trucks I see in town. Granted it's also a daily driver but still it's a work horse too. Only 3 amenities it's got is A/C, Power Steering, and a CD Player (after market, my old JVC). We haul, lawn mowers/other lawn equipment, recyclables, loads and loads of crap from Lowe's, tools, automotive parts, motor oil, you name it.

Hell, my hatch is more of a truck (I've got more tools and automotive parts in the back of than many mechanic's trucks). It's been used to haul it's fair share. And it's gotta transmission that'll out tow this piece of crap Mazda B2300 at work. My god that truck is pathetic. No balls whatsoever. can't even go on the interstate without having to down shift and cut off the A/C on every damn incline. My car climbed this one hill in fifth with no problems, this truck was choking in 4th and barely made it up the hill in third. Pathetic. The transmission just has horrid gearing. Oh and Bubba, remember, this truck is also known as a Ford Ranger :P .