Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

Why Windows Vista Won't Suck

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1931913,00.asp

We know we titled this piece "Why Windows Vista Won't Suck" and that's a big statement to make. To be honest, we don't know that it's going to be great just yet. The OS is still very much in beta, and if previous Microsoft operating systems are any indication, a whole lot of things come together in the last few months. As such, we certainly can't recommend you set aside some upgrade money right now.

Old Article, but worth reading.

Edited by Flatiron

Ive been playing with RC1, and to be honest, it looks fantastic.

I have to question myself, why do i want vista? Is it for the flashy interface, the security, or is it the 64bit that no-one is really supporting for home desktops?

For all of the above please see www.apple.com . However, if you like playing games use windows xp, till such time developers start using 64bit.

If you want, all of the above, plus support for tablets, laptops, media centers, games, compatable aps, 64bit and 32bit intergration, so many built in apps that youll never find them all, native desktop widgits that seemlessly work and ultra fast boot times, then Vista is the only way to go.

Now if they could fit it on a pda...

Pierce

Well, besides the "Flash" factor of Vista, from what i've seen it's not really much more than that. Since 64 bit stuff isn't really supported well, I can wait for that part and since I don't play games I don't need the extra visuals that Vista will support either. So for me at this time, Vista will not be in the immediate future.

I've been considering d'loading RC1 to see what it'll do over & above what XP Pro does for me now, I'll probably do it this week. Personally, I don't think it will be any more secure than XP SP3 will be, and I'm sure there will be the usual security issues as all MS OS's have had, in Vista's immediate future. You just can't build something that complicated and find every little hole in it until it's widely distributed.

My machine boots well within 10-15 seconds after my boot option screen option is chosen, so to me that's no issue at all. What worries me about Vista is it's unusually high resources needs and the poor folks who will needlesly upgrade to try and keep up with the "Jonses" so to speak, and find it wasn't worth it for their needs. There's a sector of users that will get it just because it's New of course, without really thinking of any hardware upgrades, and I can see a ton of issues popping up here because of that. For us that can be both good and bad in a way.

Anyway, I want to see if MS is still going to work on getting things they initially wanted to be in Longhorn/Vista but couldn't, into their next OS release. They had some good things planned that they dropped and I want to see them continue that work for future releases.

BTW, the Vista DRM does NOT mean that current DVD's and CD's will not play on Vista machines, or that future HDCP DVD's will not play. Current content will play normally but not in High Def, and future Hi-Def DVD's will just play in a degraded 480 DPI mode unless your monitor supports HDCP as well. The talk that Vista will just not play today's DVD's and CD's without HDCP Monitors is incorrect.