Just a note..

I am trying to spur discussion.. So I am posting things I find that relate to Linux.. Also some like this link, who proposes why Linux is "Better", I feel turn people off as its elitist sounding.

I like reading these as they always seam to point out software that I did not know existed.. in this case netpanzer.. (by they way it runs on Linux, Windows and Mac so its not a Linux game for say..)

Here is my opinion after using Linux/BSD (of all types).

When I use windows I feel constrained.. I try to get things accomplished but the tools are not there, I have to find tools that do things like burn CD, Rip DVD’s, stream video, compile code ect. I am used to and know the Linux tools and they are easy to get. While I do know tools that do this in Windows.. They also seam constrained or not as expandable, plus free ones are hard to find and trust not to contain adware or spyware.

I am used to Gentoo’s emerge tools to configure and install, so the windows installer really bugs me as too much work (note, when emerge breaks its also a real pain)

As for other Linux distributions (not Gentoo)

Ubuntu – I feel this has lost the ability to be as flexible in order to be more “user Friendlyâ€. If you need an example try installing webmin through apt and then try to remove it (as the current package is broken). Once you do this ubuntu’s package manger will be broken.

SUSE – again in order to be more user friendly it no longer is as flexible. I used to think that yast was easy to use, but after working with some new Linux users but by no means new computer users, I see that the layout of yast is not intuitive and searching for packages are horrible. They should just go to synaptic. Also the net install CD should come with pointers to the only repositories, it’s a great CD if you set up your own repositories, but the older version used to have the only line repositories so why remove them.

Red Hat – I have to say I love Red Hat but it was my first.. I use Red Hat anytime it’s for work. I believe in paying for support for critical servers. Also working with most of the Red Hat engineers is a great experience, especially if you have ever worked with a Windows engineer. Red Hat Engineers are almost if not as good as the SUN engineers. It’s a great product for enterprise level work.

Fedora – great to learn Red Hat, I place Fedora a little higher then SUSE (but I know Red Hat structure better) in usability. YUM is just as easy to use as apt. I like synaptic though and will normally put apt on and synaptic.

All the BSD’s are great and flexible. My only real complaint with BSD is the slowness of the network drivers (at least FreeBSD). Response time compared to Linux is horrible; this is real life experience, not some ideal of slowness. I helped build a satellite simulator with FreeBSD and we were experiencing latency that should not have been there, after working with some of the FreeBSD developers we found that some of the network drivers were at fault, and tied back to the kernel. Since it was not a trivial fix we just changed to specs for the simulator so they fell in line with what latencies we had, as it worked for our purposes it was fine.

These are my opinions.. If anyone has others please post them, I believe that we need more discussion so that others coming to the board can find a civil discussion on what the differences are in Linux and good discussion on stories about Linux..

Edited by iccaros