Formatting Linux Red Hat 8 (help Greatly Appreciated)

Hello Everyone,

I was looking at the besttechie.net forums to see if you guys had the answers and it sounds like many of you are computer guru's. Here's my question. I want to completely uninstall Linux Red Hat 8 and install Windows 98 or 98SE. I know nothing about linux such as how to even get to the command line. Who here can help me and give me detailed instructions such as you would give a complete linux noob like myself. I got the Red Hat 8 disk from a Linux Red Hat 8 For Dummies book at the library so I could test out Linux and see what it's like. I made a boot disk as well but the CD is back at the library. Thank you for your time and you may also contact me at [email protected].

Much Appreciated,

JigsawCode

You just need to format(unallocate) you linux partitions, then you can install windows normally. Either Fdisk or cfdisk availble on any live linux cd can do this. I think the disk druid program that comes with redhat 8 will also allow you to do this. If you need more specific instructions, just let use know :-)

I'd think the Windows 98SE CD would be able to reformat everything, but if it can't, then you're going to need to get a live CD, Knoppix for example, and reformat like shanein mentioned. Knoppix should come with some GUI reformatting tools, but I'm partial to CLI fdisk. Just open up a terminal (it'll be somewhere in the menu) and run

# fdisk

The '#' symbolizing the prompt. After that you can type in 'm' for some commands. For your task, you're only going to need 'p' and 'd'. I'm assuming the Windows install CD will want a clean partition table, so just delete every partition, and then 'w' to write it out. After that you can reboot and install Windows.

*UPDATE* Now when I hit the power button on the computer i get no visual or no power to my mouse and it starts doing long beeps with a second between each 2 second beep. Ahh oh well I guess that computer is trashed. Thanks for the help though! I started researching and made my own Knoopix 5.0 cd and it got my interested in other LiveCD's as well such as Kubuntu and Ubuntu. Thanks for the help! And I'll most definetly be sticking around the forums.*UPDATE*

I'll be back on after the Twins game. Down with Detroit Tigers! Hahah just kiddin' around its all in good fun.

Thanks,

JigsawCode

Edited by JigsawCode