I Bought My Laptop!

Been looking for a laptop for Linux and such, and just bought it off ebay today!

It's an IBM T30 with a P4 and 512MB RAM. I got it for $180 (w/ shipping) but it has a cracked screen. Once I buy a new screen, battery, power supply, and such it'll be around $450 for a pretty decent machine. I'm going to wait until I get it in the mail to buy the screen - but I've got a project to work on now!

Been looking for a laptop for Linux and such, and just bought it off ebay today!

It's an IBM T30 with a P4 and 512MB RAM. I got it for $180 (w/ shipping) but it has a cracked screen. Once I buy a new screen, battery, power supply, and such it'll be around $450 for a pretty decent machine. I'm going to wait until I get it in the mail to buy the screen - but I've got a project to work on now!

Very nice unit! I've had good luck with Linux and IBM. Sounds good! :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've never had trouble with IBM and anything before. The only problem is I bid on the auction with a few minutes left before I searched for a replacement LCD and YIKES! some of them run $200 bucks! I just assumed they were like ones my boss has purchased in the past for $80 or so.

My plans as of now are:

Wait until I receive the laptop, hook it up to an external monitor and verify what I purchased.

Get a power supply (anywhere from free to 25 bucks)

Install a hard drive (I've got a 4, 10, and 20GB here - FREE!)

Get a CD Drive (either a vanilla CD Drive for free or maybe a Combo off of eBay)

*Side note - just double checking, will Linux (suse to be exact) support CD Burning and DVD Watching?

Buy the LCD Screen (Hopefully around $100 since I don't need the panels or inverter board)

Buy a battery (20 Bucks)

So, I figure worst case scenario, I don't have to buy a new LCD if something else is blown and I won't waste any money

Does anybody have any IBM parts?

Yeah, I've never had trouble with IBM and anything before. The only problem is I bid on the auction with a few minutes left before I searched for a replacement LCD and YIKES! some of them run $200 bucks! I just assumed they were like ones my boss has purchased in the past for $80 or so.

My plans as of now are:

Wait until I receive the laptop, hook it up to an external monitor and verify what I purchased.

Get a power supply (anywhere from free to 25 bucks)

Install a hard drive (I've got a 4, 10, and 20GB here - FREE!)

Get a CD Drive (either a vanilla CD Drive for free or maybe a Combo off of eBay)

*Side note - just double checking, will Linux (suse to be exact) support CD Burning and DVD Watching?

Buy the LCD Screen (Hopefully around $100 since I don't need the panels or inverter board)

Buy a battery (20 Bucks)

So, I figure worst case scenario, I don't have to buy a new LCD if something else is blown and I won't waste any money

Does anybody have any IBM parts?

Suse has good hardware detection, you should be able to burn CDs, watch DVDs. :D I'm going to move this thread to the Linux forum so the experts can help you if you get in a jam, xxkbxx:-)

If you remove the actual lcd screen from the bezel, you should be able to find a model number. That lcd may be used for different brands in addition to ibm. If you search for the lcd model number you may find one much cheaper. I think they tend to cost more when you purchese the whole screen incuding the bezel.

Your inverter probably is not the problem :-)

Edited by shanenin
If you remove the actual lcd screen from the bezel, you should be able to find a model number. That lcd may be used for different brands in addition to ibm. If you search for the lcd model number you may find one much cheaper. I think they tend to cost more when you purchese the whole screen incuding the bezel.

Your inverter probably is not the problem :-)

Yeah, I didn't feel like paying extra for the entire top case of the laptop. I found some directions catered specifically for the t30 because it has its wifi antenna above the lcd.

In a quagmire ...

I can Buy It Now a Factory Direct LCD Panel for $147 w/ shipping

Or I can wait out a used entire screen assembly that is currently at 108 dollars for another 24 hours

I'm unsure of what to do because the factory direct one is a real good deal. I will e-mail the seller to see of a warrenty

In a quagmire ...

I can Buy It Now a Factory Direct LCD Panel for $147 w/ shipping

Or I can wait out a used entire screen assembly that is currently at 108 dollars for another 24 hours

I'm unsure of what to do because the factory direct one is a real good deal. I will e-mail the seller to see of a warrenty

Well, I just bought the New LCD after I saw that the seller had a full warrenty and that factory direct lcd's of this model are about 400+ dollars. The seller also had a decent feedback record (most of which were IBM parts)

All that's left to buy is cd rom drive, wifi card, battery and maybe a hard drive.

So far my total is roughly 185 for the lappy + 150 for the screen + 10 for the power cord = $345

Got the laptop itselft today! I just removed the LCD screen, installed my hard drive (I decided to use the 20 gb I already owned), and check everything else.

The person who sold me the new LCD lives in Florida and informed me that it may take a while, cause of the storms. Maybe I'll have this beast running in a week or so

Got the laptop itselft today! I just removed the LCD screen, installed my hard drive (I decided to use the 20 gb I already owned), and check everything else.

The person who sold me the new LCD lives in Florida and informed me that it may take a while, cause of the storms. Maybe I'll have this beast running in a week or so

You're going to have a kicking Linux machine when you're done, man! Sounds good! :thumbsup:

Know I need to learn how to run Linux. With the help of the internet and a few tutorials (not to mention this forum) it shouldn't be too difficult though! I contacted a seller on ebay who said I could get one from him for $20 with shipping outside of eBay. He sells all his items with free shipping if you pay by money order instead of paypal (normally 22 dollar shipping) I was a little nervous at first of paying him by money order for an order outside of ebay, but he has 150+ positive feedback. Is there a way to track money orders though?

Know I need to learn how to run Linux. With the help of the internet and a few tutorials (not to mention this forum) it shouldn't be too difficult though! I contacted a seller on ebay who said I could get one from him for $20 with shipping outside of eBay. He sells all his items with free shipping if you pay by money order instead of paypal (normally 22 dollar shipping) I was a little nervous at first of paying him by money order for an order outside of ebay, but he has 150+ positive feedback. Is there a way to track money orders though?

what are you getting for $20, a screen or a linux cd? I must not have followed you correctly. By the way that sounds suspicious. I guess he may be trying to save a few percent by avoiding paypal, but I would not feel good about doing it.

what are you getting for $20, a screen or a linux cd? I must not have followed you correctly. By the way that sounds suspicious. I guess he may be trying to save a few percent by avoiding paypal, but I would not feel good about doing it.

If its just a disk dont waste the money, I can send you whatever disk you want no charge. And before you install look for an install how-to specific to your model machine.

If its just a disk dont waste the money, I can send you whatever disk you want no charge. And before you install look for an install how-to specific to your model machine.

No no, it's for a CD RW DVD Reader Drive for IBM T series, kind of like this one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...ADME:B:RTQ:CA:1

I definitly shouldn't leave out details like that, I jumped from one thing to another!

Edited by xxkbxx

I got my new LCD and power cord in yesterday. I put them in around 1:00 in the morning (I got home late from my football game) cause I'm going out of town later today until Sunday Afternoon. Got the screen all in position, and turned that baby on to post!

P4 2.0

512MB RAM

20GB Hard Drive

Integrated B WLAN

NEW IBM Battery

CDRW/DVD ROM drive (coming in about a week)

Total = $395

I got my new LCD and power cord in yesterday. I put them in around 1:00 in the morning (I got home late from my football game) cause I'm going out of town later today until Sunday Afternoon. Got the screen all in position, and turned that baby on to post!

P4 2.0

512MB RAM

20GB Hard Drive

Integrated B WLAN

NEW IBM Battery

CDRW/DVD ROM drive (coming in about a week)

Total = $395

That sounds good! :thumbsup:

Thats a nice little system. With a new battery, that part is great.

I definitly didn't want to skimp on the battery. I should get it this week, and the CD Drive next week. I downloaded SUSE 10.1 while I was out of town since it was about 4 GB for the DVD installer with optional programs.

From the online tut's it looks like I'll have some options when it comes time for the installation - will it hurt to just enable about everything? I've got a 20GB Hard drive, so having almost 4GB of OS files won't bug me, and I've got enough power to run them (I believe this system will even meet Vista capabilities!)

I figure that in the near future I may upgrade the wireless card (going from built in Wireless G to a PCMIA Super G card capable of using an external antenna with good range), possibly upgrade the RAM (it's currently 2 256's, I might kick it up to 768 MB), and then either a bigger hard drive or a DVD burner. I don't see any of these in the near future unless the want becomes a need, or if I come across a little more cash!

Got the battery today and it's charging now. Hopefully I'll get the CD drive soon, I expect it will be shipped out either Friday or Monday from Canada. Too bad I have basically no free time these days. I'm taking an extra class period (AP Physics) before school and that class recently has been giving me 1.5 hours of homework a night + my Calculus. Even worse, I'll start having English homework on Monday (we're reading a play in class now so there's no outside reading).

AHHHH!!!!!!! :wacko: