hi team this was in my in box so i cant vouch for its guiness

nor do i know who emisoft is.

ive scanned it with avg and avast and both come up clean.

but i thought it should be posted in case

marty

Dear marty,

Warning! Worm.Win32.Sober.I!

The latest version of the Sober worm is spreading fast. As with it's predecessors, Sober.I

spreads by email attachments. The email text suggests that it is an error message from the

mailserver and the undelivery report is attached.

Current email clients like Outlook or Outlook Express are able to block harmful file

extensions like EXE, COM or SCR, but Sober.I sometimes comes packed in a ZIP file to

bypass outlook security. The ZIP file itself is not harmful, but the content inside (an

executable file with variable file name) contains the worm and must not be opened!

A more detailed description of the worm can be found at the a² Malware Database:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Worm.Win32.Sober.I

Sober.I can be detected and removed with a² Free and a² Personal with the latest signature

updates. The latest versiona² Personal background guard will block the worm if it is

started. Please run the a² Online-Update immediately and ensure that the new automatic

update feature in a² Personal is enabled.

Sincerely yours,

Your a² Team

http://www.emsisoft.com

Note! Please do not reply to this automated email.

If you wish to change or remove your newsletter subscription please go to our contact page

at our website or login at the a² Control Center:

http://cc.emsisoft.com/en/newsletter

Hi Marty:

I got the same thing. It is from "A Squared"  Emisoft must the actual company that has it.

I subscribed to their newsletter. You must have too.

Barb :D

yes i must have subscribed when i was at techtv cfh

ive reinstalled twice since then. cant remember it, but i see they used my user name.so some where i must have used my name.

however when it comes to a virus we cant be to careful.

tho i have to admit ive only had 2viruses once at c.f.h

and once here.or at g4.but my scanner went mad and i got rid of it before it did any damage.but for the life of me i cant remember emisoft.

those days i used to go into all sites in spite of pete and daves warnings

but it has rubbed of me now and i try to surf safe.

marty.

Here is some more info, from the Symantec Security Response Site. It is the newest bunch of junk out to try to destroy our computers, that they have given us protection against. Click on the individual item for more info. It is rated a 3 for risk, on a scale of 1 - 5, I think. They have a removal tool thankfully, if you get caught with it.

Symantec Security Response

Check often for updates and stay safe folks.

God bless everyone.

Hi Marty:

I got the same thing. It is from "A Squared"  Emisoft must the actual company that has it.

I subscribed to their newsletter. You must have too.

Barb :D

yes i must have subscribed when i was at techtv cfh

ive reinstalled twice since then. cant remember it, but i see they used my user name.so some where i must have used my name.

however when it comes to a virus we cant be to careful.

tho i have to admit ive only had 2viruses once at c.f.h

and once here.or at g4.but my scanner went mad and i got rid of it before it did any damage.but for the life of me i cant remember emisoft.

those days i used to go into all sites in spite of pete and daves warnings

but it has rubbed of me now and i try to surf

marty.

Hey Marty:

Thanks for posting the newsletter so everyone else can read it. It can't hurt to get all the news we can.

I didn't pay much attention to the name of the company. Look at the bottom of your letter and you will see "Emsi Software" I just saw it after I read your post. I went and read mine. So I guess Emsi is the name of the company that puts out the software A Squared.

When we subscribed to newsletter, we probably saw only "A2 Squared"

Take care

Barb :lol: