Im Never Using Firefox Again

If you use the default homepage you support it more than you think. They get 5c for every search. You do 20 a day, your giving them $1..

Pierce

:o That's a lot of nuts! When I had firefox I just used google.com instead of their version. I might move to opera or FF when I go to college - it's not worth messing up my parents when they are used to IE

good one pierce.

in the days when firefox had no problems

it was the rage

and used because the users thought nothing could go wrong

with it

but as it be come more popular

it started to show it had chinks

now many more people are daming the browser

i saw this many moons ago

i didnt have a lot of succes with it

and i posted a hundred times about its pitfalls

and i got plastered

for it

this is the third post ive seen

from people not happy with it

one here one at g4

and one at world start

and you should have seen the excuses the firefox

users

made in defending the overrated browser

i use slim browser and it is open source

it is 10 times smaller than any other browser

it is fast and like FF it has tab browsing

also it isnt bloated by

google

thank god we have some one who is honest

ile probably cop a lot of flac

for my post

but it isnt what i havent experenced in the past

im only speaking from my experiences

marty

:)

Opera has way more features than firefox.

Back and Forward

Left Click -> Righ click

or

Right click -> left click

Scroll threw tabs

Left click, scroll up/down

Make a tab a new window:

Drag tab to task bar

Wigits:

FF has extensions but nowhere near as cool

Bittorent support

FF.. doesent have this..

A better interface for showing you bad xml/rdf

Firefox, uh, its broken "HERE" on line 4098.. yeah as if its going to be easy to find that error

You CANT change the number of connections opera opens to a browser

Firefox: yeah, buddy open 100 connections and jam out the webserver, sure they can afford to buy really expensive hardware for you to do that!

Opera is smaller.. and includes a mail client while its at it

Ohh. heres one, opera releases memory when you minimize it, firefox doesnt!!

So, still hate Opera? If you hate me more GOOD! :P

Pierce

Back and Forward

Aren't useful to me. I don't use back and forward that often and, because I'm usually on a laptop, keyboard shortcuts are easier than mouse gestures and chords.

Scroll threw tabs

I think Firefox has scroll wheel tab paging. Anyway, my laptop doesn't have a scroll wheel ;)

Make a tab a new window:

Drag tab to task bar

That I do miss. There's probably an extension that does it. I don't use multiple windows often enough to look.

Wigits:

Utility and usability are more important than cool. I don't need a shiny four-function calculator in my web browser.

Bittorent support

Did nothing but get in my way. I like my BT clients.

Firefox, uh, its broken "HERE" on line 4098.. yeah as if its going to be easy to find that error

Switch to vim window, type ctrl-[4098G :) I don't think I've ever written syntactically-invalid XML.

True. On the other hand you more potential for code reuse with Firefox. When XULRunner is ready you should able to host Firefox and Thunderbird (and maybe Sunbird, Songbird, and the rest) on a single XULRunning installation with the common code and data shared between the apps. Even now I have a second browser, Epiphany, sharing Firefox's XPCOM and Gecko libraries.

Firefox reduces its working set when it's minimized, or at least it did until recently. I believe Windows also automatically reduces the working set of processes with no raised windows. I'm not convinced it's a good idea anyway.

Opera users. I don't have a problem with the browser.

Now, a question. One Firefox feature that Opera seems to lack and that I can't live without is address bar history completion sorted by frequency of use. Is there a switch in preferences or a plugin or something that provides that in Opera?

Edited by jcl

Back and Forward

Aren't useful to me. I don't use back and forward that often and, because I'm usually on a laptop, keyboard shortcuts are easier than mouse gestures and chords.

Scroll threw tabs

I think Firefox has scroll wheel tab paging. Anyway, my laptop doesn't have a scroll wheel ;)

Make a tab a new window:

Drag tab to task bar

That I do miss. There's probably an extension that does it. I don't use multiple windows often enough to look.

Wigits:

Utility and usability are more important than cool. I don't need a shiny four-function calculator in my web browser.

Bittorent support

Did nothing but get in my way. I like my BT clients.

Switch to vim window, type ctrl-[4098G :) I don't think I've ever written syntactically-invalid XML.

True. On the other hand you more potential for code reuse with Firefox. When XULRunner is ready you should able to host Firefox and Thunderbird (and maybe Sunbird, Songbird, and the rest) on a single XULRunning installation with the common code and data shared between the apps. Even now I have a second browser, Epiphany, sharing Firefox's XPCOM and Gecko libraries.

Firefox reduces its working set when it's minimized, or at least it did until recently. I believe Windows also automatically reduces the working set of processes with no raised windows. I'm not convinced it's a good idea anyway.

Opera users. I don't have a problem with the browser.

Now, a question. One Firefox feature that Opera seems to lack and that I can't live without is address bar history completion sorted by frequency of use. Is there a switch in preferences or a plugin or something that provides that in Opera?

The scroll wheel doesnt work in FireFox for tab-switching.

Use 9 lately? Though i do miss the auto fill feature on search boxes. At the same time, i miss not having magic wand on firefox(password utility manager).

Releasing memory sets? I checked the latest version, it doesnt and was highlighted by ZDnet.com when they were reviewing ie7, which does it.

Writing syntaticaly correct XML in vim? Well, okay, but writing dynamic sets, with millions of tripples? Eh.. the stored data could be at fault. At least FF2b2 has better displaying of xml content, compared to Opera, which is awful.

The single platform, sounds like a cool framework. So you have to download this "box" and everything plugs into it?

The wigits arnt limited to browser either. That calculator can sit on your desktop with opera minimized into the system tray. I seen somebody have a google bar perminantly open, (a proper sized one that is nice and big, i hate the one in the top right).

Pierce

I use firefox and like it.

I don't use google toobar or tab browsing.

and I don't particullary give a da*** about other people opinions because I never try to force people to change their browser.

There a extesion for it. Tab Mix, TBE and TBP have a ability to do that. im not sure, i dont use the feature.

It didnt need to be cool. it only ability is functionability. If it works, then it works. that all i need from extension.

Bittorent support

Dont need BT supported web browser. I rather clients, clients have more functionability than web browser does.

Releasing memory sets? I checked the latest version, it doesnt and was highlighted by ZDnet.com when they were reviewing ie7, which does it.

I never noticed it and never complain about it. it didnt affect me. IE is embedded in Window. that the reason why it does well with window when IE is minimized.

True. and i dont need a mail client. I have Gmail and i use Google Personalize Homepage. and i use my sidekick as a email client with Gmail's pop/ssl. I hate to use email client.

all i need a functionabiliy/flexiblability/customability browser and that is Firefox.

what has happened arnt FF users trying to jam ff down our throats

like it has been for several

years

why

i find browsers no different

unless you want strees a point

i thought this bu-----t

was finished

i repeated this a hundred times

a browser is only as good as the user

if you get s---t through your browser

isnt that your fault and not the application

buggered if i can understand this thread

rearing its head again

ff v other browsers

marty

Huh. I wonder what I thinking of. [Later] Ah, it was Epiphany.

Use 9 lately?

Sure, yesterday. I was using when I wrote that post.

The default behavior was changed in recent releases to prevent thrashing; you have to set config.trim_on_minimize to true. When it's enable it works very well -- the WS can drop below 1 MiB if you're lucky -- but it can take a minute or two to page back in when you raise the window. That's one reason I'm not convinced it's a good idea. (The other reason is that I don't know what the point is. If the process is idle the WS will decay naturally. If it isn't, decreasing the WS will cause thrashing.)

Well, okay, but writing dynamic sets, with millions of tripples?

By hand? No, I can't say I've done that. ;)

So you have to download this "box" and everything plugs into it?

Right. Firefox, Thunderbird, etc would become XULRunner extensions. XR would handle installation and updates. The code that's shared between the Mozilla apps -- the filesystem, network, and UI layers, the profile manager, the layout and JavaScript engines -- would be factored out into XR. XR is about 15 MiB and Firefox-on-XR appears to be about 2.5 MiB. More than half of that is the chrome for the user interface; the executable is 12 KiB :)

The wigits arnt limited to browser either. That calculator can sit on your desktop with opera minimized into the system tray.

I don't want desktop widgets. If I did I'd install gDesklets or buy a Mac and use Dashboard. If I'm going to be switching windows -- or, God forbid, desktop layers -- I may as well get a full-blown whatever application and leave it idling in the background.

Edited by jcl