Having Trouble Finding The Correct Specs About Ram

ok here's the deal. i bought a beat up computer at auction that needed a few parts. i happened to have verything i needed but Ram. so i borroweda pc3200 512mb stick from a friend, put it in and got everything up and running perfectly. not bad for only spending $23 so far for a tower, monitor, keayboard, opticle mouse and what parts i needed. so since everything was working flawlessly i bought a 1 Gig ram card on eBay, got a really good deal too.

High Density 184 pin

Chip Configuration: 128M x 64

Chip Density: 128x4

1024MB (1GB) DIMM

PC2700 333Mhz DDR Memory

(Backwards Compatible with PC2100)

Unbuffered, Non Ecc, Non Registered

Voltage: 2.5V CAS Latency: 3

put it in and nothing, no beeps like when there's no card there, nothing. so then i look around a little bit and notice on this site that this motherboard might not support a 1Gig card.

Yahoo Specs

OOOooohh great so then i'm thinking that the card might work and i just can't use it so then i'm trying to find someone that's willing to trade a 1Gig for two 512mb sticks. but then days later i come across this site and HPs site that says it can.

Memory Upgrade Site

HP site

it only has 2 ram slots but has a max of 2Gigs. so my problem is how the heck do i find out if it can take 1 Gig ram cards. ohhh and before i thought it used pc2700 and now it might take pc2100 or pc1600.

I'm confused :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

try the stick in another computer and see if it works first. If it doesn't then it's just a bad stick. I don't really see why that computer wouldn't use 1GB sticks. If you absolutlety need 2 512MB sticks I have a pair that are PC3200. Only problems are that one for some reason was detected as PC2700 in my new nForce4 SLI x16 board the few times it actually booted and I'm still using both of them in my PC2100 limited Compaq. They both operate just fine in it. I don't know if that stick you have will work in mine and I'm just a little too scepticle about it.

One thing is that it's an HP. If I'm not mistaken, HP's motherboards are usually made by ASUS. ASUS motherboards are notorious for being overly picky with memory. That's why I went cheap with my new board and got EVGA. I would try some Corsair Value or something along those lines for it. I now use Corsair XMS (that's their performance line) for mine since one stick of the PQI didn't function correctly in the new board (odd since they were identical).

One more thing. How much did you pay for it? I can help you find good memory for a good price if you want.

* Man crucial is expensive ain't it. I bought a Corsair XMS TwinX 2x512MB PC3200 Kit for $102 on newegg.

Edited by Honda_Boy

I'm with Sethook and Hondaboy--either a dud stick or trust what Crucial says (you don't have to buy it from them, but from what I've read, their recommendations are spot on)

Could it be that if there are two slots for Ram that both slots "want to be filled"?? I've read that, too. Sometimes an empty ram slot feels left out and revolts.

And whispers very quietly, "I have 256 gigawatts of Ram and XP works just great on my Dell" I know, I know...I'm ducking. Owww, throw donuts, not rocks!!

Gosh, I can't believe I'm actually responding to a techpost from Macmarauder.....I'm humbled. I'm probably wrong, but humbled none the less.

Liz

Edited by blim
I'm with Sethook and Hondaboy--either a dud stick or trust what Crucial says (you don't have to buy it from them, but from what I've read, their recommendations are spot on)

Could it be that if there are two slots for Ram that both slots "want to be filled"?? I've read that, too. Sometimes an empty ram slot feels left out and revolts.

And whispers very quietly, "I have 256 gigawatts of Ram and XP works just great on my Dell" I know, I know...I'm ducking. Owww, throw donuts, not rocks!!

Gosh, I can't believe I'm actually responding to a techpost from Macmarauder.....I'm humbled. I'm probably wrong, but humbled none the less.

Liz

Seen a couple of PC's that had to have it in slot 0 or 1 which ever they called it. Usually it is the one closest to the back of the tower. Nothing in there and it won't see the others...

well i search the net and kept finding multiple specs for this thing so i broke down and called HP and they confirmed the specs on their site. everyone online like crucial just doesn't have any pc2100 cause nobody uses them and since the ram would just down it's self in speed they just post and selld the pc2700. also earlier tonight i took the card to 2 different friends houses and tried it in their computers first looking up the specs on their motherboards to make sure that the card should work on theirs. and gusse what, the card is no good. so all of this doesn't matter anyways. i was just trying to find excuses for it to not work cause i rather loved the deal of only paying $30 pluse $5 shipping for a 1Gig card. but i'll just have to return it now and scrounge up some other ram. thanks for your help guys.

Was it some cheap no name brnad stick? Maybe you got what ya paid for. I got kinda screwed with some PC 133 RAM a while back. It wasn't ever detected as PC133 and in one computer it was detected as 128MB (it was a 256 Stick). That was the last time I bought memory from eBay. It was cheapo Viking value RAM. I actually bought a stick from a friend for like half what I paid for it and I don't remember any brandings on it. All I know is it worked corretly. I quit buying stuff like that from eBay. Last thing I bought was an FX 5700 Ultra video card. It worked fine until I monkeyed with it. Curiosity massivley overheated the video card. I stick with newegg and Amazon now. I go Amazon for speakers cause they usually have better deals. Other than that newegg is cheapest among the larger more reliable retailers.