Microsoft Warns Of Lawsuits Over Linux

"We think our software is far more secure than open-source software. It is more secure because we stand behind it, we fixed it, because we built it. Nobody ever knows who built open-source software," he added.

MuHahahaha!!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

well i have to disagree about linux being popular.

in 2003 i bought mandrake 9.1

and i had a hell of a time finding a linux forum.

on any board techtv didnt have it until the later time of its tenure

then it was incorprated into tss.

and because i was new to linux operating sys.

i couldnt get help any where.

i tried cnet ,znet.most other boards

the only place i could get help was

from chris perrilla .when he was a presenter for techtv.

he co owned a site. where he is to this day .

but help was basic .those disks are still in the packs.what i find with linux it is a snobs OS developed by technicians for their own use.i read the histroy of how it came into being.and they didnt want it to become popular to the public.

and unless it becomes user freindly to the compt masses.it will play second fiddle to microsoft.it is not user freindly to the.ordinary user.to the more advanced user it is ok.

and you will find the advanced user is the one who expuonds popularity.

not the normall user like me .

ile give you an example of how hard it is to configure

i couldnt configure the modem

i posted maybe 5-6 times to techtv cfh

and i got no joy.

i had to contact some one six hundred miles from me to do it and i had to learn to do it in linuxs example of dos or the console as they name it.

so you see how remote the help is.

and it is no better now ive been to the linux help section on this board and it is only basic.

so you may to redefine your example of popular.

marty

martymas i know exactly what you mean....its more for the advanced users who are tired of windows and looking for something new to use or play around with

myself i started with bootable knoppix and then moved to mandrake

it can be a pain to configure things but lately there has been a huge pro linux movement...there are many forums about the subject and more and more people who are familliar with the os

dont get me wrong i would like to try it out.

when i had it on my sys i had to use a dual boot with xp .

at first windows wouldnt recognise the linux iso.and made the linux os dissapear of the sys well i didnt know how to fix this but got help.it seems to put both on dual boot you need to install linux first but haven tried that yet.

but i have just made a p2 compt but it only has a 4.5hdd and 64 megs of ram

do you think this is enough resources to install with these specs.

marty

i have a knoppix disk which ive had for 2 years.

at first my sys wouldnt access the disk but it seems to be ok now

Eh? I'm almost certain the TSS Linux board was there before 2003. I was the first poster when it opened and I practically lived on it until it closed. It was definitely more than a year. (Unfortunately I can't find a copy of it in the Wayback Machine, so I'm not certain when it did open.) Are you sure we didn't run you off? As I recall we went through a lot of newbies at times.

what i find with linux it is a snobs OS developed by technicians for their own use.

That's essentially correct. Except for the snob part. There are lots of Linux snobs, but they aren't representative of the userbase. What is perceived as snobbishness is often a simple lack of interest in helping new users.

Oh sure, you pick a modem :) If it had been, like, a video card, you probably wouldn't have had any trouble, but modems are a pain.

and it is no better now ive been to the linux help section on this board and it is only basic.

Hey!

BTW, the system you describe should be sufficient as long as don't push it too hard. The memory might be problem if you aren't careful, but the disk and processor are fine.

then it was incorprated into tss.

and because i was new to linux operating sys.

i couldnt get help any where.

i tried cnet ,znet.most other boards

the only place i could get help was

from chris perrilla .when he was a presenter for techtv.

he co owned a site. where he is to this day .

but help was basic .those disks are still in the packs.what i find with linux it is a snobs OS developed by technicians for their own use.i read the histroy of how it came into being.and they didnt want it to become popular to the public.

and unless it becomes user freindly to the compt masses.it will play second fiddle to microsoft.it is not user freindly to the.ordinary user.to the more advanced user it is ok.

and you will find the advanced user is the one who expuonds popularity.

not the normall user like me .

ile give you an example of how hard it is to configure

i posted maybe 5-6 times to techtv cfh

and i got no joy.

i had to contact some one six hundred miles from me to do it and i had to learn to do it in linuxs example of dos or the console as they name it.

so you see how remote the help is.

so you may to redefine your example of popular.

marty

Sure a few years ago your comments are accurate, that Linux is very difficult. But, the newer distros: Mandrake 10.1, Suse, Fedora have very user friendly install routines. Even Red Hat 9 that came out a year ago was easy to install. Modems are a pain like jcl said.

The newer distros readily identify your hardware and install easily. I think the newer distros are easier to install than windows.

The advanced distros like Slackware, Gentoo, BSD are harder to install, true. I suck at those, I'm still learning:-)

What I would do if I were you is get a cheap second computer, a used unit. You can pick one up on-line for next to nothing. For example a Plll 500MHz, with a 10 GB HD and 256 MB RAM would run all of the new distros nicely. Then you can experiment with Linux and not mess up your XP box.

That's how I started to learn Linux.

Hehehe.....thought you all would get just as much of a laugh out of this one as I did...

I would be laughing if I could understand it. Does Ballmer really think companies are going to sue the governments of those countries? Who wants to poor schmuck who tries to win an IP lawsuit against the government of China?

Hehehe.....thought you all would get just as much of a laugh out of this one as I did...

I would be laughing if I could understand it. Does Ballmer really think companies are going to sue the governments of those countries? Who wants to poor schmuck who tries to win an IP lawsuit against the government of China?

Ballmer knows that companies probably won't go after China. However he's probably hoping his saber rattling may scare some U.S. or European firms so they are reluctant to adopt Linux. Which won't happen. But, it does show that M$ is finally waking up to Linux.