A Good Place To Buy Ammunition

As tenmm said, if it's just the tip that's damaged, firing the round will not damage the gun.

The only thing that a damaged tip will affect is the accuracy of the round, due to the aerodynamics of the bullet being altered.

Even then you probably won't notice the difference it in a gun that old, unless it's a match grade barrel in mint condition, which is unlikely.

For what that round cost (approx. $1), I would fire it.

Well the damaged round part of the jacket is jutting out to the side and I'm afraid it'll scratch or tear up the barrel. When I can I'll post a picture of it. I mean not the tip. the brass or whatever it is jacket is sticking out further than the back of the bullet.... I think. I ain't gonna fire it. I probably ain't gonna fire any of those rounds. I gonna some Remington UMC FMJ rounds instead.

Edited by Honda_Boy

If the jacket is that severly damaged (jacket is sticking out further than the back of the bullet), don't fire it.

Even if you could chamber the round, which is highly unlikely, and fire it, it would likely cause a catastrophic pressure build up, which could cause severe damage to the gun, or the one firing it, neither of which is worth the risk.

This rifle tends to jam a little sometimes when changing rounds where the round will miss the barrel and whack something and I think that's what damaged the round I was loading the magazine and chagning through the rounds (not firing just watching the action) It may just jam when cycling though loaded rounds and not firing any. I don't do it anymore. Plus my rifle doesn't much care for the round tips they seem to cause chambering problems. Sometimes it's hard to chamber those rounds.

Edited by Honda_Boy
This rifle tends to jam a little sometimes when changing rounds where the round will miss the barrel and whack something and I think that's what damaged the round I was loading the magazine and chagning through the rounds
Sounds like the magazine lips, or the follower, needs to be adjusted.

This is a pretty common problem with those older magazines.

When you have the gun inspected, bring the magazines, and explain to the Gunsmith the problems you're having.

Adjusting them is no big deal, but it should be done by someone experienced with the procedure.

Plus my rifle doesn't much care for the round tips they seem to cause chambering problems.
By chambering problems, do you mean the bolt is hard to close?

That could be a headspace problem.

That's another common problem with old Enfield's.

Be sure to have that checked.

now I mean they ain't quite the right shape. Ya know how the bottom of the bolt pushes the new round and the front of the round slides up a curved spot into the barrel and it lifts the rim into the "claw". Well when the tip hits that curved spot it tends to stop. Those rounds don't seem to be shaped right to go in the way they do. I'd have to show you for you to really know what I mean if you don't get it.

Edited by Honda_Boy
slides up a curved spot into the barrel
feed ramp
into the "claw"
extractor

It could be the lips on the mag are not releasing the round high enough (bent down too far), a weak mag spring (most likely), feed ramp needs to be polished (possible considering the age of the gun), or a combination of the three.

I'd have to show you for you to really know what I mean if you don't get it.
I get it.

I'm a Gunsmith. :)

• 15 years later...
On 7/10/2006 at 10:11 AM, tg1911 said:

If you're looking for original:

.303 British 174 gr. Ammo.

1940's to 1950's production, mixed British manufacturer firepower. Berdan-primed, non-reloadable, corrosive, 174 grain, full metal jacket bullet, brass-cased. Muzzle Velocity: 2,400 F.P.S. Muzzle Energy: 2,224 ft.-lbs

100 Rds. - $17.97

200 rds. - $32.97

400 Rds. - $61.97

I also, using Guide Gear Women's Suede Clog Slippers. I guess it's the best Guide Gear. What do you think about it? Also, I get free shipping at The Sportsman's Guide Promo Codes. 

cabela's women's suede clog slippers Shop Clothing & Shoes Online