I will try these ideas and get back to you guys.

Here's what you have to do:

1. run regedit to edit the registry

2. go to this location in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

3. there should be a windowsfirewall key listed under Microsoft, delete just the entire windows firewall key, do not mess with the others.

4. Reboot and all should be fine.

Actually it is recommended to do the following.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...db5d70dc5d20ffc

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile

(and)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile

In the right-pane, delete the "EnableFirewall" value.

Close Regedit.exe and restart.

This is usually caused by a trojan and/or virus. Seeing as the OP has already fixed his problems with HJT and other recommended programs a Repair install is the preferred solution to his problem because of corruption to the registry. Doing any of the above just disables the firewall period and does not solve anything.

I went ahead and did a repair install. I reinstalled SP2, and to my suprise, nothing has changed. Still having the problem. It was a good try though!

Anything else lol?

Did you do a Repair install through the Recovery Console or did you just reinstall over the old install?

Edited by TheTerrorist_75

I will try these ideas and get back to you guys.

Here's what you have to do:

1. run regedit to edit the registry

2. go to this location in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft

3. there should be a windowsfirewall key listed under Microsoft, delete just the entire windows firewall key, do not mess with the others.

4. Reboot and all should be fine.

Actually it is recommended to do the following.

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...db5d70dc5d20ffc

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\DomainProfile

(and)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall\StandardProfile

In the right-pane, delete the "EnableFirewall" value.

Close Regedit.exe and restart.

This is usually caused by a trojan and/or virus. Seeing as the OP has already fixed his problems with HJT and other recommended programs a Repair install is the preferred solution to his problem because of corruption to the registry. Doing any of the above just disables the firewall period and does not solve anything.

TT,

I already tried that as well, when I was connected to his machine. :(

B

For some reason it appears though he does not have administrative permission. Is this computer part of a network? Maybe something hung up after running the remote desktop access?

Look through here again.

Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Did you have Norton or McAfee installed on your PC? Does your WinXP Home CD have SP1 or SP2 on it? If not create a slipstreamed XP CD with SP2 and do a format and fresh install. Backup what you can first. Something is corrupted.

Yes, at one time my PC had both. My home CD has SP1. Can I just do a reinstall and then DL SP2?

Try it. I would create the slipstreamed CD after. This will save you time in the future. I'm waiting for SP3 to be released so I can create a new slipstreamed XP CD. Installs go so much faster. I have manually slipstreamed SP1 then SP2 when that was released to my XP CD. I am thinking of trying AutoStreamer 1.0.33 the next time.

Great news. The problem is fixed, and I have yet to reformat. This is what worked, from Geeks To Go.

I am however, looking into reformatting anyways. Everyone I have talked to recommeded it. I haven't done so in a year!

Hi, macfreeman7 :)

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.

Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot preform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry

1. Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  2. Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  3. Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  4. Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  5. Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  6. Press OK
  7. Press YES to create the folder.

Registry Modifications

Download the enclosed file:

Extract its contents to your desktop. It is a registry entries file. Once extracted, doubleclick on the RepairAppInit.reg file and select Yes when prompted to merge this file into your registry.

Go to Start->Run, type CMD and click Ok. At the MSDOS prompt type the following pressing Enter after each line:

SC Stop WMIPervAddOn

SC Delete WMIPervAddOn

Exit

Restart the computer.

Check if the Firewall settings are no longer greyed. If unable to change the settings, go to Start->Run, type Services.msc and click Ok. Scroll down to Windows Firewall and right click on it. Select Properties. Make sure the service is Started and that the startup type is Automatic.

Please post a fresh Hijackthis log and let us know how things went.

Thank you so much to all those who have been a huge help, especially Jeff, Matt, TheTerrorist_75, and others.