How To Change My Name In Documents And Settings?

I am sorry about not responding - I had to go out of town for a funeral.

Thank you for your advice. I have already done that, but whenever I am saving a document, the path always reads:

C:\Documents and Settings\MY NAME\My Documents.

I would like to change the part where it says MY NAME. I do not know if this is assigned through Win or just the way my computer is registered. This happens no matter where I place the file, My Documents or any other folder. I would like the path to read:

C:\Documents and Settings\SOMETHINGOTHERTHANMYNAME\My Documents.

Do you have any ideas? I sure don't!

Thanks a bunch for your help!

Smooches,

LiXindi

Welcome!!

Not sure if you are trying to change your computer name or what...but in the link you provided, did you try this and it didn't work??

How to Change Name and Company Information After You Install Win XP

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK. To change the name of the registered owner, do the following: In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK/Exit.?

Not sure if this is what you mean, but you can always change it back if it doesn't do what you want...

Edit: there is also the following, but don't know if that will help either...Control Panel> System> Advanced...at the bottom are Environmental Variables that will let you edit your Documents and settings name..Beware..I have never done this ...just noticed it while looking around...

:unsure:

Hey, Thanks for replying - I really appreciate your help.

Yes, I have changed both of those settings to read "I LOVE YOU", and my paths are still saying "MY NAME."

Maybe it has something to do with when you are first registering the computer - it IS a Dell...

When logging on to my Windows, I can click the "I LOVE YOU" user name - it is the main user, and I can see it on the screen, but whenever I read my path names, "MY NAME" is all over them.

*sigh*

Thanks for all of your input.

Are you saying you'd rather have (for example) "C:\My Documents" instead of "C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\My Documents" ?

TweakUI has a section under My Computer called Special Folders that will allow you to change the "My Documents" location for each account.

It also says (in TweakUI) that you can right drag the folder and click "Move Here" to change the location and move the contents in one step.

What you could do, is create a new folder named what you want. Then, copy everything in the other one to the new one. Now, using the technique CurlingSteve mentioned, change the My Documents location. Now, delete the old one.