Ok guys I just rememberd I could use remote desktop to view whats on another computer (see my other post if you dont understand). I need to use remote desktop. Only there is a problem. My PC is running XP pro and I have it set up so it accepts incoming remote desktop connections but my other computers do not see a computer hosting a terminal server. They do see eachother and they are on the same workgroup but no terminal server. So I just rememberd something which I did last year... Somthing quite stupid actually. I went around my computer disabling and uninstalling outlook and windows messenger and all sorts of crap. Im pretty sure I did some stuff manuallly like acutally going to the folder and deleting stuff. (Ok I know REALLY stupid...I know that now but I didnt then). So um other then an entire reformat how do I get windows messenger and stuff back. Iv been messing around and I think that may be the reason its not working. Also remote asistance is not working. If I send out a remote asistance through windows messenger to my laptop and I accept itit gets stuck at "attempting to connect to MYMSNACCOUNT". So how can I reinstall windows messenger.

BTW I was using Windows LIVE messenger to send the querey and stuff cause it seems that doesnt use the origianal program at all.

Its not the stuff you uninstalled.

The reason it probably doesnt work with msn messenger, is because the port required to view it from public is not forwarded. (Thats only if your router has NAT, which it probably does).

Check your firewall and make sure its allowed to get through the firewall, including windows's if you use it.

Whats happening is that its not "enabled" or somethings "disabled" its because it acts like a server, and so does malicious software, and is treated more rigorusly.

Play with the firewall and port forwarding see if that helps.

Pierce

Well I want it to go directly through my lan using remote desktop. It says it cannot even see the a terminal server even though I set up my PC to accept remote desktop. If I can get remote desktop to work it would be great. I will see what I can do with the ports though I dont see how messing with my router will help considering im inside the network.

Also I think I need to add the user in here...

untitled.jpg

So I go in and press Add to add a user and I get this box

Useradd.jpg

As you can see I can add the user name right? So Now I have a question . Do I add the laptop name or the user name of the account on the laptop. Also I need it to look for the user on the netowork not on my PC (therig is my PC) but there are no ther options.

Is this even necessary to make it work?

Edited by Sir_Siddy

The joys of windows administration

You dont have to add anything on that list, as you already log into that computer using some "user/pass". I didnt have to add anything it just "worked" for me.

You could always go the 3rd party route...

www.ultravnc.com

I remote from work to home using it, on a 3mbit down, 378kbps up.

Pierce

just curious, do you need the video to play on both computers at the same time? Or are you mainly wanting to store the video on one computer but play it on another, if so just use windows file sharing.