What Really Geek Squad Technican Do?

Nothing... they are completely worthless.

Link to Slashdot's article of real Geek Squad do

Best Buy is using Geek Squad for money.... MONEY!!!! They are falling behind because Frys store beating them. I live near San Marcos, and there is two store, Best Buy and Frys. When i go to Best Buy, it like.... 6 people looking for things. At Frys, it like 8,752,052,043,520,843 people looking for things. I love Frys store because they have wide selection of computering. Other reason Small reason why i like fry because they have this cool HUGE fish tanks in the middle of the entrance, it so awesome to see them.

This is really sad how Best Buy using Geek Squad for money, causing GS to screw up anything that they have a wavier for not responible for damging the computer which THEY SHOULD BE! most of them is very very very inexperienced with it.

All I know is that Geek Squad is EXPENSIVE!! When I wanted to reformat our Windows98 Possessed Gateway, I got scared (cause you all know what an unconfident noob I can be sometimes) and called for a quote for them to reformat it. $250!! Shoot, it would be cheaper to buy XP for the PG. Gave me the inspiration to delve into doing it, thanks to the wonderful advice, encouragement and downright handholding (I'm sure Robroy is still laughing about teaching me how to work the floppy) I got here. Besttechies is like MasterCard--priceless! Thank you, all *smooch*

Liz

Edited by blim
All I know is that Geek Squad is EXPENSIVE!! When I wanted to reformat our Windows98 Possessed Gateway, I got scared (cause you all know what an unconfident noob I can be sometimes) and called for a quote for them to reformat it. $250!! Shoot, it would be cheaper to buy XP for the PG. Gave me the inspiration to delve into doing it, thanks to the wonderful advice, encouragement and downright handholding (I'm sure Robroy is still laughing about teaching me how to work the floppy) I got here. Besttechies is like MasterCard--priceless! Thank you, all *smooch*

Liz

Seeing as this was on the news, it isn't gossip (I hope!)

A woman sent her laptop back to BB for replacement under her warranty. A teenaged kid bought a computer and guess what? It had all her records on it! Luckily, the kid is a honest one, tracked her down (pretty simple when all one has all the personal records on one's computer) and told her about it. She had banking stuff, tax returns, the whole she-bang.

And the broadcast reported of a second incident like that (cant remember the details because I was steaming by that point) but again, honesty overuled any identity theft and it had a good ending.

Apparently, BB re-uses Hard Drives--of course, they made a statement saying this was an "isolated incident and they are deeply apologetic and it they are boosting security so it won't happen again"...Ha!

Hopefully someone here is clever enough to find a link--if it isn't on my MSNhomepage, news won't get linked :)

I'm glad I keep all that stuff in a good old fashioned file cabinet, bank in person and use checks and snail mail for payments.

Liz

Good point and very true (yes, I read the sarcasm and laughed :D ) but one less entity to spread this stuff around. Now, if the house burns down I might be in trouble.....(the real important stuff is in a firebox, though)

Liz

As far as I know CompUSA and Frys aren't connected. CompUSA bought out Good Guys awhile back.

Frys Electronics is owned by Krogers (which owns our local Fred Meyer stores) I just read.

Have only been to the local Frys (way across metro area from me) once. Very large selection of computer hardware and software, some appliances large and small, plus other stuff. Seemed to have very good prices on what I looked at. Bought my F-Secure Internet Security Suite from them with what seemed like a good net cost after rebates but still waiting for them to arrive about three months now even after a couple of phone calls to the rebate center. Frys also offers dialup service for true unlimited dialup service for $9.88 a month and a 3 month trial with 10 webmail accounts (no html on them) in many states. (Be sure to check for local access numbers.) I don't know for sure if they also do the same thing as Geek Squad but probably do since it seems so profitable for others.

Frys homepage with various sections on left including store locations

Pat

God bless everyone