My parents have alot of old tapes of me as a baby which they want me to burn to dvds. I have a camcorder which can play these tapes but Im kind of at a loss on how to connect a camcorder to my PC. Im guessing I will need to buy a converter of sorts that can take AV cables and spit out the video through a USB cable. I dont have a video capture card in my PC. The tapes are the old sony HI8 ones. So um what do I need to buy. Im going to just use Windows movie maker as my movie edit software because all I will need to do is add a tltle here and there and then put the movies onto DVDs.

for about $129 you can buy a Lite-on stand-along DVD recorder...got mine at Costco.. you can find them at Sam's club also(usually)...you can connect you camcorder directly to it andit burns directly to dvd...to get a hard drive unit that allows a little more editing you need to spend a little more money...under $300 most places...

it's a common misconception the Movie Maker can record to DVD format...it cannot...best you'll get is "super VCD" or somthing called "Hi-mat"(worthless..compared to dvd format) and the only way you can get the tapes to the computer is thru a video capture card...which might be a little cheaper than a stand-alone...but do you have a dvd burner in you pc..??

Lots of info here also

:wacko::blink::blink:

wayne

What you need is a DV Bridge that will convert analog to digital. Check Dazzle I think they're still in business. Or you can use a mini DV camera with Video pass through.

I'm not a windows user but I know you can make DVD from video edited in movie maker.

Edited by isteve
I'm not a windows user but I know you can make DVD from video edited in movie maker.

..well since you not a windows user..i'm not sure where you are getting your info....but Windows Movie Maker simply does not support saving a project you compile in DVD format..

from the help file:(direct cut/paste)

Saving and sending movies

The Save Movie Wizard lets you quickly save your project as a final movie. The timing, layout, and contents of the project are saved as one complete movie. You can save and store the movie on your computer or on a recordable CD, or you can send it as an attachment in an e-mail message or to a video hosting provider on the Web. In addition to these choices, you can choose to record your movie to a tape in a DV camera.

This page of the Save Movie Wizard lets you select which movie saving option you want to use, depending on what you want to do with the final movie. The following options appear on this page.

My computer

Specifies that you want to save your movie to your local computer or to a shared network location.

Recordable CD

Specifies that you want to save your movie to a recordable or rewriteable CD (CD-R or CD-RW). Choose this option if you have a rewriteable or recordable CD drive attached to your computer and you want to save your final movie to a recordable or rewriteable CD.

Specifies that you want to save your movie as an attachment to send in an e-mail message. Choose the option to share smaller movies with others by sending them in e-mail by using your default e-mail program.

The Web

Specifies that you want to save your movie and then send it to a video hosting provider on the Web. A video hosting provider is a third-party provider on the Web that provides a Web server location and hosts the movies you save in Windows Movie Maker. Choose this option if you want to save your movie so family and friends can watch your movie on the Web.

DV camera

Specifies that you want to send your movie to a tape in your DV camera. This option is available when you have a DV camera connected to an IEEE 1394 port. Choose this option if you want to save your movie to a tape so you and others can watch it on the DV camera or on a TV (when you connect the camera to a TV).