Windows Support Board Suggestion

My suggestion for the windows support board is that we have a sticky thread there for the best ways to clean up your system if it is lagging. This sticky, I believe, should include the following: (If I forget any, please feel free to let me know)

1) cleaning out cache, temp and cookies

2) defragging

3) a link to the spyware info thread

4) windows updates

5) running your AV

6) keeping your programs updated

Basically what I'm suggesting this sticky be about is the basic maintenace to keep one's computer running smoothly. I'm sure we will start getting those repetative questions about their computer slowing down and such. This way we can just refer them to the sticky, and hopefully it will keep those kinds of repetative questions from being so overwhelming.

hey, no problem. I never expect anything to happen immediately. I know this isn't an issue right now, but as rapidly as this place is growing, I thought if it was at least brought up now, then there would be plenty of time to work on it and perfect it before the "real" problems surface. ;)

Nerelda: You might add this to your Cleanup list.

Periodically (when your confident your system is stable), turn off System Restore and reboot.

Turn it back on and create a manual restore point.

This will clear out the stale restore points and free up that space.

-------------------------------

You may also want to throw in an Error Check before the Defrag.

If people would type their problem into Google I bet 75% of the time they would find the answer without having to post in the first place. Some kind of way to entice people to do a Goggle search first......hahahahahaha....

I agree with you.

It's been said many times,

Google is your friend.

lots of good ideas and feedback coming through.

For the google search, maybe in the sticky, it should say something like "Once you have followed all these steps and still seem to be having trouble with your computer, try to search the problem in google. Most questions are simply answered this way. If none of this helps you, and our gracious experts seem to be of no help, it could simply be an ID-10-T error. Google It!" :D

If people would type their problem into Google I bet 75% of the time they would find the answer without having to post in the first place. Some kind of way to entice people to do a Goggle search first......hahahahahaha....

i agree..but..the problem with google is you sometimes have to be able to recognize which links you can trust..and choosing the one of 600 million that google presents you..can be a challenge..don't get me wrong..i love and use google..but i've learned who to trust on boards like this..and have learned way more by the members' here and on other well run boards than google..

wayne :lol:

i agree..but..the problem with google is you sometimes have to be able to recognize which links you can trust..and choosing the one of 600 million that google presents you..can be a challenge..don't get me wrong..i love and use google..but i've learned who to trust on boards like this..and have learned way more by the members' here and on other well run boards than google..

I agree about the safety issue, and have landed in some very questionable places a few times while doing a legitimate search. Fast getaway, then spent the next hour scanning my system for any junk left behind by the bad site. :angry:

That's when I started to really look at the url of the selection before clicking on it. Though it is impossible to know if I am passing up good info, while trying to stay safe. :unsure:

To bad that Google itself can't do a safety scan before your selection pops up? Maybe with a rating system for content, along with security scanning??? :unsure:

I think a lot of people don't know how to refine a search with various tricks of the search trade. So perhaps a sticky thread tutorial on "How to use Search Engines" would be appropriate? I know I could use more pointers on it. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

I agree about the safety issue, and have landed in some very questionable places a few times while doing a legitimate search. Fast getaway, then spent the next hour scanning my system for any junk left behind by the bad site. :angry:

That's when I started to really look at the url of the selection before clicking on it. Though it is impossible to know if I am passing up good info, while trying to stay safe. :unsure:

To bad that Google itself can't do a safety scan before your selection pops up? Maybe with a rating system for content, along with security scanning??? :unsure:

I think a lot of people don't know how to refine a search with various tricks of the search trade. So perhaps a sticky thread tutorial on "How to use Search Engines" would be appropriate? I know I could use more pointers on it. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

I too could use help with refining the seaches.

JD

God bless everyone.

thesidekickcat,

Great suggestion, about a tutorial on "how to search engines", many times I find myself not knowing what or how to ask a question about what I may be searching for and find myself just giving up and hoping I find the answer by accident. But most of the time I eventually find the answer.

I agree with all of you about the google searches. What I would mainly like to see is people at least TRYING to research their information before asking everyone else to do all the work for them. Even if they did the research and are still unsure about what a specific website is suggesting they do, they could at least link us to that website, or copy the information into their post and get feedback to reassure them, or even warn them of bad advice.

As with going to ANY website, you just have to use good judgement.

What I would mainly like to see is people at least TRYING to research their information before asking everyone else to do all the work for them. Even if they did the research and are still unsure about what a specific website is suggesting they do, they could at least link us to that website, or copy the information into their post and get feedback to reassure them, or even warn them of bad advice.

As with going to ANY website, you just have to use good judgement.

This would be a good part to add to the tutorial.

My suggestion for the windows support board is that we have a sticky thread there for the best ways to clean up your system if it is lagging. This sticky, I believe, should include the following: (If I forget any, please feel free to let me know)

1) cleaning out cache, temp and cookies

2) defragging

3) a link to the spyware info thread

4) windows updates

5) running your AV

6) keeping your programs updated

Basically what I'm suggesting this sticky be about is the basic maintenace to keep one's computer running smoothly. I'm sure we will start getting those repetative questions about their computer slowing down and such. This way we can just refer them to the sticky, and hopefully it will keep those kinds of repetative questions from being so overwhelming.

Hi B and Nerelda

Sticky thread has zero to no chance to make a difference

"Read before posting" and the other stickies at TTV-G4.....too funny

Just keep your anti-virus up to date and run your spyware detectors

When I'm in doubt I switch over to IE (uggg) in order to run Bugnosis

Throw another 2 in only then will I feel safe

BTW,, B has no web bugs and never has....thanks B

Marsh

Nerelda's first post says everything sticky should have. Might want to say alittle something of course about hijack this and were to post those if not here. ..oh.. and btw marsh...this aint G4 and lets pray it doesnt end up that way. We have excellent admins here, top notch, cream of the crop :) and I look forward to posting here.

good post Nerelda....:)

As there are still many people using 98, maybe a stickie on the special concerns of 98 users. For example, I was on a 266MHz PII, and had a dickens of a time with browsers - little red ex-es replaced most everything - until I learned of Firefox. I've moved up to a 1.7GHz, barely able to run with 128 RAM, so I'm still struggling, but I know that there are plenty of people out there who know 98, and plenty more who are at sea. Also separate stickies will help to keep our new home organized