Mass. School Punishes Students With Electric Shocks

Oh my god.... that is horrible thing i ever read. Why this world is so cruel to people?

NY Reports on this School -----> Mirrored Site (Just in case if the website is down)

I understand what the school is helping but it become of a torture chamber of small things.

they witnessed one student who was threatened with a shock after sneezing in class

OMG!! that is so stupid, it just a sneeze. you cant help it if you happen to sneezed, most of the time you cant control it, you just have to let it go.

If you stop working more than 10 sec, YOU GET SHOCK!!! This school is so wrong for treating human, this is most likely voilating the human rights. This kind of therpy is wrong, i understand how it help but this is somewhat become a torture chamber for small thing. if you whisper to someone, you will get it. if oyu talk back to teacher, you will get it. if you complain about something, you will get it. if you slouch in chair, you will get it! this is silly, this is stupid of how the state send those student to school for last resort.

Here come the another cruel stuff, the school withdraws some food for the student as a punishment. That not good, all studnet need to eat to meet the needs for the body and our brain.

And the school officals denied any of this, but the report is right there.....

And for Austim people, they use this therpy on those austim. but i watched a couple of show about austim, and this is not the proper way to help austim. there is ton of way to help people. some austim need visual effects, or sound, touching, lots of thing that help. i watched Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, one lady took care of special needs children, she helps the special needs that really need to be on special cares. One of those special needs is austim, she give the cd player to the austim boy, so the austim boy use the cd player to create a calm enviroment, to keep him focus, it really him him a lot. there is many many many way to treat austim, there is no cure for it but there is a way to help them to focus better with anything better than shock therpy.

I know some of you are parents, some parent use that school for last resort to help but the school seem that there is no guideline to what to do with each student with different problem. they just put the student in shock therpy and leave them there for a while. Some student is forced to go to shower with a shock device, that is so wrong. it can kill the student, i dont care how much watts it can kill them, it still wrong.

I believe there is many way to treat the problem, but problem is people just dont know a way.

*AMEND* Found more information. http://mikestanton.wordpress.com/2006/05/2...tenberg-center/ and http://www.autismvox.com/too-close-to-shock/

Edited by DarkestDream

From what you describe is happening (the link didn't work for me...page can't be displayed) I wonder what the parents are thinking to sign over the kids to such a 'school'. I have heard of last chance type schools to turn kids around but this sounds totally sadistic! Why would anyone put kids under such a system, especially autistic kids?!? Unbelievable the ignorance of parents and 'school' to treat them like that. I'd say that someone needs to get some hidden cameras in there to determine extent of abuse so they can prove it to a judge to get the place closed down and kids to safety.

I am praying for the safety of the kids.

Pat

God bless everyone

My heart breaks over such terrible treatment of the kids! How is this supposed to do any good for autistic or mentally retarded children? And even those kids with severe behavior problems should not be tortured. Even our prisoners have more rights and are treated better than these kids!

Sure a money maker for the school top management, since so few on staff are professionals with degrees in psychology or psychiatry, many on staff barely have a high school diploma it appears so not exactly fit to deal with the kids entrusted to them and probably not paid well either so where is the $200,000 a year per kid going other than to line the pockets of the devil behind this torture chamber? And it sounds like the kids can be stuck there until they are 21? 35 years in business and no one has shut them down? Unbelievable! Sounds like the snake pit history of abuse and torture in mental institutions. I wonder how many more of this type of torture/abuse institution are in operation in our country?

I can't say anymore, am near tears again. I continue to pray for kids everywhere to not be abused!

Pat

God bless everyone

thesidekickcat, if you look at JRC website, it look nice, it didnt show the real dark side of JRC. That mostly the reason why the state never bother to check with JRC because it was under the state proptery.

I have a serious case of ADD, but there is way to treat it, keep you focus than being the victim of truamaized torture chamber.

a few kid died in JRC, there a link of how kids die in JRC. i read one of the kids die while he was shocked and had a seizure than die.

Some parents of Rotenberg students rallied behind the school, as they have in the past, saying that most people don't understand how serious their children's problems are. The school, which costs states and school districts more than $200,000 a year per student, helps students who have failed everywhere else, they say, and turns to shocks and other punishments only if less painful methods fail.

"This school has saved my daughter's life," said Marcia Shear of Long Island, whose 13-year-old daughter, Samantha, used to punch herself in the head so often that she detached both retinas. After she received a few high-level shocks, Shear said, the self-abuse stopped.

"I am livid at these people and pieces of garbage who think they know what they're doing. Let them come and sit with my child and go through what I've gone through for 11 years."

Some parents of Rotenberg students rallied behind the school, as they have in the past, saying that most people don't understand how serious their children's problems are. The school, which costs states and school districts more than $200,000 a year per student, helps students who have failed everywhere else, they say, and turns to shocks and other punishments only if less painful methods fail.

"This school has saved my daughter's life," said Marcia Shear of Long Island, whose 13-year-old daughter, Samantha, used to punch herself in the head so often that she detached both retinas. After she received a few high-level shocks, Shear said, the self-abuse stopped.

"I am livid at these people and pieces of garbage who think they know what they're doing. Let them come and sit with my child and go through what I've gone through for 11 years."

If the parents of the kids support it ... I dunno ... Does that justify it?

I can see how the school justifies their treatment (if you can call it that): I've known kids that were totally uncontrollable. I've no idea if shocks would have helped them, but I can see why they resorted to it.

• 14 years later...