I asked this on another site (G4) and just wanted some more opinions.

My friend needs a basic PC. Email, internet, word processing & Freecell. We were looking at a Dell (I know, don't laugh).

But I found this but not sure if it's a good computer.

Acer PC

She's not a gamer so we're not looking for a high end PC

Oh woops, Both seems to be Acer T135, so I assumed their the same.

Sorry about that.

But looking at the specs for the newegg one, it seems fine for the OP wants.

You can always buy a CRT monitor for under $100, from basically anywhere.

Edited by Martint

on the buget end I prefer the eMachines T6532. Room to upgrade and a lot of punch.

http://reviews.cnet.com/eMachines_T6532/45...-2.html?tag=nav

I have alway loved emachines a new Powersupply and a decent GPU and you are ready to frag with 90% of the gamers and the other 10% youwill never beat with out sponsorship anyway. I bought my first years ago as a backup family machine and sfter my Dell failed it became the work horse and never let me down.

Preston

$500, is way too much, IMO. A system for browsing, email, word and simple games should cost you about $125. Look for a local computer enthusiast magazine in your area - you'll find ads for wholesalers in your area who will sell 5yr old machines for $100 or less.

$500 for a purely utility machine is nuts.

I have, in the past, bought machines from the chaplain at our hospital. good little internet machines. $35 each with a monitor and a keyboard. I have had only one hard drive die on me.

$500, is way too much, IMO. A system for browsing, email, word and simple games should cost you about $125. Look for a local computer enthusiast magazine in your area - you'll find ads for wholesalers in your area who will sell 5yr old machines for $100 or less.

that does include a nice 19 inch lcd. That is a great thing to have for even webbrowsing. If you take off $220 for the moniter, that leaves 275 for a great machine that will be functional for a long time. For just $275 you have a great machine with plenty of ram, fast boot, and can even backup to dvds. Even if you are not encoding video, or playing resource hog games, it is very nice to have. That computer also comes with a nice warranty.

for a decent utility pc, scan recyclying drop off areas. I've seen pc's just sittin there before. (You not supposed to leave them there but people do anyway). Usually It's just a simple fix like a new hard drive or just reinstalling windows.

their is nothing wrong with a dell. With a 2 year warranty, what more can you ask for.

a person in america that you can understand when you call for the warranty to be used????? :lol::lol::whistling::whistling: