I gave up on downloading it tonight. I kept gettign disconnected from the server. Since I am in the computer buisiness, I need to learn how to use it. My main computer is still running good old gentoo linux(solid as a rock).

I'd like to download it but I ain't waitin 18 hours to download it with my 768k line. Maybe I'll try tommorrow night. Start it at about 8pm and it'll finish after a few hours after I get up (which is usually around 11am)

why is it so huge? I can't imagine why the iso is 3.2 gbs.

I believe thats less then previous releases but Im not certain. Im guessing the size is due to binaries being built with debbuging info and an increase in the nessecary libraries to run all the new "goodies". The last vista release I tried was when it was still longhorn, Ill give this beta a try. The new parental controls look very interesting, hopefully people will actually use them.

ya wanna know why it is so big? cause it is M$ fashion. it is bloated with even more crap. Too much eye candy and what not. I think M$ i going in the wrong direction to be honest. They need to working on the performance not the look. As if windows wasn't already a memory hog, Vista's minimum is 512MB. I'm wanting to try just to see how much of a toll it's gonna take on performance. Also it says it needs a 20GB HDD with at least 15GB Free. Man is the OS askin a lot. Most people I know Barely have 60GB hard drives. Many around here still use 98. I just really think M$ is too worried about how it looks. Heck I think KDE looks wonderful compared to windows and I could run in FC4 on a 600Mhz PIII with 384MB RAM with no problems. I also ran it on an 800Mhz PIII with 512MB (which by the way is vista's minimum) and I think it performed better than XP. I'm gonna start the install tonight and burn it tommorrow and test it on my Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB PC2100, GeForce FX 5700 Ultra system and see just how well it runs.

In case nobody knew this. Redo your signup and get a second key. M$ is allowing each two keys for a total of 20 install on different machines. Each key is good for 10.

In case nobody knew this. Redo your signup and get a second key. M$ is allowing each two keys for a total of 20 install on different machines. Each key is good for 10.

Will that key work on my copy of XP Pro???lol Who would want to download it that many times when it takes hours now? Wake me when the bugs are fixed in it. Signed >>> Rip Van Winkle

Will that key work on my copy of XP Pro???lol Who would want to download it that many times when it takes hours now? Signed >>> Rip Van Winkle

Download once install on 10 boxen with one cd key.

Wake me when the bugs are fixed in it.

It is a beta, the idea is to find the bugs.

Edited by naraku9333
ya wanna know why it is so big? cause it is M$ fashion. it is bloated with even more crap. Too much eye candy and what not. I think M$ i going in the wrong direction to be honest. They need to working on the performance not the look. As if windows wasn't already a memory hog, Vista's minimum is 512MB. I'm wanting to try just to see how much of a toll it's gonna take on performance. Also it says it needs a 20GB HDD with at least 15GB Free. Man is the OS askin a lot. Most people I know Barely have 60GB hard drives. Many around here still use 98. I just really think M$ is too worried about how it looks. Heck I think KDE looks wonderful compared to windows and I could run in FC4 on a 600Mhz PIII with 384MB RAM with no problems. I also ran it on an 800Mhz PIII with 512MB (which by the way is vista's minimum) and I think it performed better than XP. I'm gonna start the install tonight and burn it tommorrow and test it on my Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB PC2100, GeForce FX 5700 Ultra system and see just how well it runs.

Those are recomended minimums, and if xp was any indicator it should run ok with less memory. Do you expect Microsoft to support extremely old hardware so anyone with a 98 box can run vista? What is the point of software and hardware advancements if none of it is utilized? The prices of computers these days are very low (considering what they where a decade ago) so it isn't an outrageous idea to upgrade if your running such an old system (and Im far from wealthy, plus I live in NY (highest COL in the country)).

FWIW KDE is (from what Ive read) porting to windows starting with the eagerly anticipated (by me atleast) KDE4.

All I need to do is get a DVD drive, better video card and larger hard drive to run Vista. I had already planned on the needed hardware for my XP install. I may do away with my 98SE drive, bump the memory and triple boot XP, Vista and some 'nix system.

Connection speed:

Connection type:

Approximate

download time:

32-bit edition (3.5 GB)

3.0 mbps

Fast Cable/DSL

4.5 hours

1.5 mbps

T1

9 hours

768 kbps

Cable/DSL

18 hours

256 kbps

Cable/DSL

54 hours

64-bit edition (4.4 GB)

3.0 mbps

Fast Cable/DSL

5.5 hours

1.5 mbps

T1

10.5 hours

768 kbps

Cable/DSL

21 hours

256 kbps

Cable/DSL

64 hours

Before proceeding, please read the update above regarding high download demand.

Connection speed:

Connection type:

Approximate

download time:

32-bit edition (3.5 GB)

3.0 mbps

Fast Cable/DSL

4.5 hours

1.5 mbps

T1

9 hours

768 kbps

Cable/DSL

18 hours

256 kbps

Cable/DSL

54 hours

64-bit edition (4.4 GB)

3.0 mbps

Fast Cable/DSL

5.5 hours

1.5 mbps

T1

10.5 hours

768 kbps

Cable/DSL

21 hours

256 kbps

Cable/DSL

64 hours

Before proceeding, please read the update above regarding high download demand.

Dialup - Eternity

Well I'm responding from Vista. Had to carry the test PC downstairs cause wireless wasn't working (Sound ain't either). It runs ok but I don't think people with PC's like this should be runnin it. By the Way it's my Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB, GeForce FX 5700 Ultra system. It's a little laggy like I'm tryin to run a high demand game with 3d rendering in the menus on an older PC (like say SWAT 4 or Half-Life 2).

Hey does anybody know of a free anti-virus for it? AVG don't work or at least what I downloaded from MajorGeeks didn't work. AVG's free edition website wasn't working. Also does anybody know how to get a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 to work in Vista? You'd think a new OS would have drivers for older hardware. Heck the Live! has been around as long as the GeForce 3 series and yet it has drivers for my 5700 ultra but no Live! drivers.

*well Avast works in Vista, and I have resorted t the onboard sound for Vista. I'll try the driver CD since the ones on Creatives site never worked even in XP.

Edited by Honda_Boy
Well I'm responding from Vista. Had to carry the test PC downstairs cause wireless wasn't working (Sound ain't either). It runs ok but I don't think people with PC's like this should be runnin it. By the Way it's my Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB, GeForce FX 5700 Ultra system. It's a little laggy like I'm tryin to run a high demand game with 3d rendering in the menus on an older PC (like say SWAT 4 or Half-Life 2).

Hey does anybody know of a free anti-virus for it? AVG don't work or at least what I downloaded from MajorGeeks didn't work. AVG's free edition website wasn't working. Also does anybody know how to get a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 to work in Vista? You'd think a new OS would have drivers for older hardware. Heck the Live! has been around as long as the GeForce 3 series and yet it has drivers for my 5700 ultra but no Live! drivers.

*well Avast works in Vista, and I have resorted t the onboard sound for Vista. I'll try the driver CD since the ones on Creatives site never worked even in XP.

Vista is lacking in the driver support area so far.

These companies have partnered with MS for anti-virus support on Vista. They are free for now.

Windows Vista Beta 2 Antivirus Partners

Another thing to keep in mind, is that Windows Vista Beta 2 expires on the 1st of June 2007, giving you just under a year to use it.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that Windows Vista Beta 2 expires on the 1st of June 2007, giving you just under a year to use it.

It'll take me that long to upgrade my computer to run it unless I catch some real good sales..

just make sure you have enough ram and a decent video card. Like I said I'm runnin' it on an Athlon XP 2600+, 512MB PC2100 RAM, and a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. I'm also using an old 20GB hard drive I had FC5 on. Never used it though. I think I may just buy a new 40GB HDD to put vista on for better performance. (Or maybe even put it in my Athlon XP 3000+, 1GB PC3200, GeForce 6600GT system.)

I'm running a 2400+ with 512MB of RAM. My video card is only a MX4000 plus both of my 20GB hard drives have OSes on them that I don't want to get rid of. I also don't have a DVD drive.

You should be able to snag some deals easily if you just watch the bi-weekly sales. (such as: Corsair XMS 2x1GB is around $110 this week!)